Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Tier 3 information

This is a discussion on Tier 3 information within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have they been told why an order can't be progressed?...

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3 information

Have they been told why an order can't be progressed?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange that since I gave you the number to call, all other numbers we have are internal and not for general usage. The only people able to deal with this are order status or sales.
      Order status is an option on the main support number and sales is a seperate number completely.
      One option would be to call and ask to be put through to cancellations, they seem to be able to escalate a lot of things that no one else will touch.
      Apart from that there is no "magic" number that you can call as all numbers go into the pool of calls that are passed through to any number of call center staff, the only other option then would be a letter of complaint or using the kana system to try and bypass the front end of the system to get the issue looked at by someone who may actualy know what is going on.

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Well im on NTL (Virgin Media) and I almost always get 20Mbit so I cant really complain at all
      sorry i had to reply to this to show both sides of the story, i work for sky and got virgin because my exchange will never be unbundled so i went with virgin, 20 meg package, never been about 6megs constantly, usually averaging around 2 megs and 4 megs. Every provider has problems, if ur on a long line with dsl it's slower. if u live in an area with a lot of virgin subsribers slow speed also. Cable is not the answer, you just have to find a happy medium. Roll on satellite broadband lol
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Satellite Broadband will work but will cost you a fortune as it is getting beamed up to space then coming down again. It has very crap upload and download speeds certainly if you wish to pay 300+ a month then work away for that price you can probably get a T3 line installed.

Also my area has about 500+ virgin media subscribers most of them broadband, has never done anything to my download speed constant 20Mbit.

hellbelly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radstock
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

My first post here, unfortunately it's because of an Error Code 300 I'm after some advice but first here's a bit of background info:

My previous ISP Zen capped my speed at half a meg because of my line, I don't have any extension sockets, my Main Socket is fitted with a ADSL faceplate and tried the test socket to improve my stats, I couldn't change the Line Attenuation setting at all (stats from DG834G)

Connection Speed - Downstream 576 kbps; Upstream 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation - Downstream 63 db; Upstream 15.5 db
      Noise Margin - Downstream 12 db; Upstream 15 db

I decided to migrate for cost reasons and on Friday 22nd my Sky Broadband was activated, but it hasn't worked - I'm stuck with error code 300. Tier 1 put me straight through to Tier 2 and I spoke to a helpful Scottish chap called Paul who tried loads to get it up and running (including rebooting router, resetting back to defaults). He capped my line at 128kbps to see if it would fix the error but it didn't, he tried something else and rang me back later on and it still wasn't working. I was due another callback the following evening but never got it. Oooh, just remembered that he commented on my Line Attenuation being very high also.

I rang back saturday night and got put through to Tier 2 again, a different chap said to wait a bit longer for the callback from Paul.

24hrs later i rang back again due to no callback, got put through to Tier 2 (i think) and spoke to a helpful Irish guy called Paul, he messed with my line speed and couldn't get anywhere. He also commented on my Line Attenuation being high. He has escalated it to Tier 3 (also called it emergency) and said to expect a callback within 24hrs.

Now then, a couple of things - Irish Paul said there was an 8 day cooling off period that I could cancel in, so I've got a few days left to leave them. But what is the likelyhood of Tier 3 getting back to me within this time and getting it sorted? I had a solid reliable half meg connection with Zen, how come Sky can't get it working at the lowest speed of 128kbps?

I checked my neighbours stats (I setup their DG834GT on Tiscali), here's their stats:

Connection Speed - 576 kbps; - 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation - 15.5 db; - 31.5 db
      Noise Margin - 18.1 db; - 18.0 db

And my current stats with Sky (from supplied Netgear DG934):

Connection Speed - 512 kbps; - 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation - 63 db; - 15.5 db
      Noise Margin - 16 db; - 13 db

Why can the house next door to me have a much better Line Attenuation?

Has anyone else had any thing similar happen to them when migrating to Sky? If the worst comes to the worst and I have to leave I notice that a lot of ISP's charge to migrate from LLU ISP's - Sky is LLU isn't it so it's going to cost me money to leave them? Would they give me that money back?

Sorry for the long post!

Pete
      Last edited by hellbelly; 24-02-08 at 08:13 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

cause they're line stats are false - 15.5 is a bug in the netgear FW...reboot it and it should the similar/same as yours...

also, you could get at least 1Mbps with that SNR...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New builder provided a list of "sort its" according to error codes.

Look here

Error: 300 problem
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

IAmNotTheEnemy - thanks for the tip about the 15.5 bug - I never knew about that.

newbuilder - thanks for the link, I've just checked it out and unfortunately that's the stuff that I and tech support already tried.

ta
      Pete

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

error 300 is loss of IP address, which im sure you already know...

causes are stale session (which shouldn't occur anymore now the exchange FW has upgraded), exchange issues, billing/abuse issues (router is suspended) or general router having a mare issues...

has it been solid amber since activation? it 'could' be that the tag is still your old ISP (altho if tier 1 did a tone test and you heard it this is unlikely) or the router might not be authenticating for no real reason...

and for the record, tier 3 dont exist anymore - its CST (tier 2 & 3 combined last year)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did read that tier 3 was now gone, I was a bit confused when he said he was escalating it to them! Yep, it's been solid amber ever since activation.

What's a tone test? I don't remember them mentioning that.

Is it worth me trying to rule out the router itself by using https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ to generate my login details and putting them into my old DG834G?

update - tried my old DG834, still doesn't get an IP address, I'm sure I used the password generator correctly, used the LAN MAC not the ADSL MAC along with the serial number off the bottom of the router.

Pete
      Last edited by hellbelly; 24-02-08 at 09:26 PM.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)