Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Tier 3 information

This is a discussion on Tier 3 information within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by BlueDevilx Think the e-mail address was a few pages back somewhere! Don't know if anyone has but ...

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3 information

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilx View Post
      Think the e-mail address was a few pages back somewhere!

Don't know if anyone has but could someone explain exactly what Tier 1 2 and 3 employees should be doing in terms of their duties?

Personally think that tier 1 and 2 is dispanded so that there's only tier 3 that we speak to direct as it seems they have the answers generally. Would save a lot of time!
      Do you want your subs to go through the roof?

Can you imagine employing doctors at a doctors surgery to answer phones and make appointments?

That is a bit like what you would be asking the higher paid tier 3s to do. Oh yes Mr Customer this is a complex problem..... have you switched the router on? Yes Mr customer can you see the small box on the wall, the small cable has to go into that.

2. Advertisement
      BlueDevilx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: basildon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah understand that, if thats the case either pay tier 3 tier 1 salary or have options on the automated phone to either speak to tier 1,2 and 3

ie 'if your are having problems setting up your router press 1' and so on until you have an option like 'if you know that your hardware is not at fault and the problem of slow speed, non-connection, no IP when you had one 30sec's ago etc etc then press 3' button 3 for tier 3 seems easy to me.

skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having worked tech support I can safely state that *no-one* ever believes that the problem is with them - this isn't just a home user problem, I've had corporates complaining that our service was down when they knew their kit was working... despite it being, at that point, in three feet of water... Every single person who called would choose tier one. That's *why* they have tiers of support, after all.

As I've stated earlier in the thread, tier 3 people would not work tier 1, they'd just go get a job elsewhere. There's nothing more frustrating if you have good skills - and know you have - than doing 100-120 calls a day of "Retry, reboot, reinstall", with maybe one or two a day that you actually need to think about.

BlueDevilx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: basildon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Understand what you say skalpel but there's still the element of people that do know what they are talking about and genuinely want to speak to 'Tier 3' but constantly get frustrated by not being able to!

Hopefully all the knowledgeable 'tier 3' people will get themselves together around a table and sort out the problems that everyone seems to be having then people won't have to ring up and waste tier 3's time anymore. I'm sure they have better things to do like picking noses and things.

My posts by the way were only meant to be a little light hearted, there's always red tape in companies no matter what!

I myself will look forward towards the end of the month when my connection speed drops and the IP dissapears as it seems to do during these periods. Would love to find out why but I just can't be bothered waiting on the phone only to give the same old details once again to a so lowly tier 1 person who cannot help me anyway.

ps I like the ad' at the top of the page stating that NTL/Virgin costs 24 per month...........At least it works 24/7!!!!!!
      Last edited by BlueDevilx; 02-03-07 at 12:21 AM.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

now i appreciate this may not work at sky but our system works like this:

you call helpdesk and get given a ticket which helpdesk evaluate and stick into the relevant queue (not always the right one but they are pretty good).

if it is a router reboot a lower person will pick it up.

However we can all see the queue and pick up any case. So if I spot a case where it looks like its worthy of my attention I will pick it up. This isn't a great system because, it does lead to cherry picking. If a case looks like a b*stard it will sit in the queue (although we do have SLAs to meet). Some days if you are busy you can ignore the ticket system all together. If it sits in the queue too long a line manager will assign it (but that rarely happens).

This system does lead to happy customers because if they have technical knowledge they can log in and add their own notes to the ticket and view its progress. They also dont have to wait on hold or listen to some moron saying "are you using the yellow cable we provided you with".

Now I'm not saying this would work for Sky. It works for us because we know a lot of our customers and I can spot names in the queue of people who actually know what they are talking about.

The point I'm making is if you make the whole process more transparent and allow the customer more interaction you can often diagnose problems more efficiently

We also have happy customers because we don't treat all of them like morons. We introduce web-based systems to let customers hang themselves if they want to. For example you could introduce a web based system for people who want to monkey about with their DSLAM settings. It could for example allow them to enable 2+, if they don't confirm the setting within an hour it reverts to previous settings, you can add things like restore to orignal setting (for when it goes really pete tong). I know I'm being too simplistic here and you are all falling of your chairs at the idea of system which potentially lets 1000's of people monkey around with DSLAM settings. However, what i'm saying you don't have to do everything over the phone. Have some web based ticket systems, it allows to easily separate the wheat from the chaff
      Last edited by armitasp; 02-03-07 at 01:49 AM.

Josh01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3

Quote Originally Posted by Won't Be Named View Post
      This is for all the night owl people out there. Just a short note to clarify that ringing through late at night and in the early hours of the morning won't get you passed through to Tier 3. People seem to think this is true, but it isn't. You will only be passed through to Tier 3 if your ticket has been open for more than 5 days and you havn't been contacted back by them.

If your fed up with being on the phone to sky all the time and spending money then just email the Tech people. They will be more than happy to help and plus, its cheaper for yourselves.

Cheers!
      Obviously a T3 worker too scared to speak to customers, that will be one of the down falls of Sky BB. was with sky for 3 days till things went wrong 6 days latter with Be Un Limitted and happy. better than hanging on for 5 days to get message on phone saying they have identified the problem and will now start working on fixing it. the problem I could have told them but no one wanted to know so up and left.
      see this
      Sky killed my line by not using my MAC code ...

intheknow! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3

Quote Originally Posted by Josh01 View Post
      Obviously a T3 worker too scared to speak to customers,
      can confirm that the poster there is not a T3 worker, the poster was just confirming that at the time that was the case.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 18-03-07 at 04:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

welshwales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caerphilly
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the problem is, is that the whole process is flawed. I just got the phone from tier 1 and spoke to a very polite Irish based agent. He asked me what ADSL2+ was, he asked me what a decibel was and also asked what LLU was until he said ahhh local loop!

I was not upset by this I know the role of reception support is to collate as much info as possible and correctly pass it onto the next level. However the process of doing this is wrong!

The structured questions are not specific to various problems. For instance I rang about why I was on G.dmt instead of +2 and I was asked if I had tried all my splitters and the test socket. Again I wasnt angry that I spent 20 mins on a 0870 number as these people serve their purpose and I imagine the abuse they get sometimes makes their job difficult. In my instance I gave my agent his deserved respect and despite his lack of knowledge I kept my patience.

Now if the structured questions followed a flow where by my yes/no answers pointed the query to a unique area then Sky should have a unique batch of tier 3 guys working on this area rather than everyone fire fighting which sounds like whats currently going on.

I have been quoted 5 days to be contacted by Tier 3 I'm sure when they call they will help me as much as they can. So again I will be patient as my ADSL connection is not life threatening, its not going to start wars or conflicts

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have been quoted 5 days to be contacted by Tier 3 I'm sure when they call they will help me as much as they can. So again I will be patient as my ADSL connection is not life threatening, its not going to start wars or conflicts

It took me two weeks of calling every day till I finally got through to someone in tier 1 who knew what I was talking about and put some proper notes on the system. A day later 2+ was enabled and working fine. This is despite the fact twice tier 3 had closed my ticket and said my line won't take tier 3. Well I'm now connected at 16Mb/s and haven't had any problems.

its a bud life is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the problem is, like many posts in this topic T3 are swamped by problems that T1s can and should easily fix however people do seem to forget that not all T1's are hopeless and some are tech minded and some do know what they are talking about. Make no mistake about it T3 are good but there are some T3 that are just as useless as T1's.
      T3 and T2 tend to deal with different aspects of problems for example T3 deal with on net (base, mid and max) and physical issues with our equipment. whilst T2 deal with connect and bt, for example T3 can log into the exchange for on net but very few can for off net. but T2 can log into the exchange for off net and solve issues that way, both dept deal with different issues sad to say not much is being done about it.

Sorry about my rant but i do feel that t3 are getting too much praise when other depts work just as hard to fix problems

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)