Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broardband issues - 20% packet loss and latency spikes. w/ Broadband Quality Monitor

This is a discussion on Broardband issues - 20% packet loss and latency spikes. w/ Broadband Quality Monitor within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I found this forum after searching for similar issues, and finding a post here which seemed to expidiate the ...

never3nder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Richmond
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Both SR102 and TP LInk D50
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broardband issues - 20% packet loss and latency spikes. w/ Broadband Quality Monitor

Hi,

I found this forum after searching for similar issues, and finding a post here which seemed to expidiate the resolution of the problem.

The current situation is that we have basically unusable home internet (Sky Unlimited ADSL), with massive amounts of error packets (8700 downstrean last night on an idle connection!), and Broadband Quality Monitor showing latency spikes of 120ms and 20% packet loss.

We've had intermittent issues (connection would drop once every couple of days) for six months now, which I suspected at the time were due to a fault at the exchange, but due to the intermittent nature of the issue, Sky have been slow to deal with the problem.
      In that time we have tried two new routers (Sky SR102 and Archer D50) and had a new phone line put in by BT Openreach with a filtered faceplate installed by them at the same time.

All of these changes have improved the quality of the internet connection, but have not resolved the initial issue of latencey spikes, dropped packets, and the connection erroring out.

The kicker is, Sky have finally admitted that there is a fault at the exchange, and apparently a BT Openreach engineer fixed the issue last Friday (7th). They didn't contact us to tell us the issue had been fixed (which was a good thing for them as I would have been fuming) as the fault changed from being intermittent to constant, the connection will not hold for more than an hour at a time, and showing far greater number of error packets than the previous six months.

Unfortunately I only found out about BQM this morning, so not a huge amount of data to show there, but its indicative of the problem.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...e1f-14-07-2017
      I suppose I have two questions, is there any way to speed up BT Openreach resolving this issue, and making sure they actually fix the fault this time rather than making it worse,
      and secondly, assuming the issue is at the exchange/cabinet, would changing provider and going to a fiber connection also help - as it would be a different connection at the cabinet/exchange?

Thanks for your time
      Last edited by never3nder; 14-07-17 at 11:20 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,601 Posts

Re: Broardband issues - 20% packet loss and latency spikes. w/ Broadband Quality Monitor

is there any way to speed up BT Openreach resolving this issue, and making sure they actually fix the fault this time rather than making it worse,
      If there is it must be one of the best kept secrets ever.

secondly, assuming the issue is at the exchange/cabinet, would changing provider and going to a fiber connection also help - as it would be a different connection at the cabinet/exchange?
      It should make a difference as Fibre takes a completely different route to the exchange and uses completely different equipment. There would be no need to change provider unless you can get a better deal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

never3nder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Richmond
      Router: Both SR102 and TP LInk D50
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Broardband issues - 20% packet loss and latency spikes. w/ Broadband Quality Monitor

Oddly enough Sky don't seem to offer Fibre here, but Virgin do so I'll likely go down that path anyway. Thanks for your answer