Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Need help to decide whether to transfer from PlusNet to Sky???

This is a discussion on Need help to decide whether to transfer from PlusNet to Sky??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, just got my MAC code through from Plus (along with a long list of 'reasons' why I may want ...

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Well, just got my MAC code through from Plus (along with a long list of 'reasons' why I may want to stay with Plus rather than move to Sky ... and it was that 'personalised'. Not just move to another ISP, but to move to Sky - and all the things they claimed about Sky appear to match Sky's website).

Now the question of whether to use the MAC code ....

When I spoke to Sky by phone, last week, the guy said I could DEFINITELY get all of their available packages (inc MAX which is what I'd want). I then asked what Sky thought my speed would be; he said "oh, not good, 1MB". This despite my current Netgear sync'ing (as I type) at 6032 and my attenuation (38) saying 10-14MB should be possible [ I didn't mention this at the time though ]

I am willing to take the Netgear's stats over the BT checker (which I know can be dodgy) but I just hope he was right about the MAX ... I don't particularly want to leave Plus's maxADSL to go to Connect or (if Sky think I can only get 1MB), the Base or Mid packages.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Adam

Can you paste their reply with the reasons?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Dear Mr Brunt,
      We’re sorry to hear that you want to move your broadband to BSkyB.

Your MAC Key is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. This will remain valid for 30 days.

Before you move here’s a few reasons to stay with us:

- Coverage: Our prices aren’t based on the exchange you are connected to, or where you live. Sky will charge you 17 if you’re not on one of the exchanges where their equipment is fitted. Currently, Sky equipment is only in 28% of the UK’s exchanges.

- UK based support: Our Support Team is based entirely in Sheffield, whereas Sky is using outsourced technical support in India. We feel ours offers more personal and localised support.

- Flexible contract periods: We offer a variety of contracts, from monthly and annual, to our "you stay, we pay" offer (where your cancellation fee is reduced the longer you stay as a customer). Sky only offers a 12 month contract - this also extends your contract for Sky TV by an additional 12 months.

- "Hard" usage allowances: We only limit usage allowances during peak times (4pm to midnight). There is no limit on how much traffic you use during off-peak times. Sky’s 2 lower products have fixed data usage allowances, with no difference between peak and off-peak times.

- Referral based: We have always based our signups on referrals and don't spend large amounts of money on advertising. If we get new customers, it's usually because of our current customers telling friends and family about the good service they receive. Sky are throwing large amounts of money at advertising to try and tempt customers, without any thought of word of mouth.

- New customers only?: Many companies, Sky included, often offer great deals to new customers only. All of our special offers are available to both existing and new customers.

- Home Phone: Our new Home Phone service lets you to pay us, instead of BT for your phone calls and line rental. This also gives you the convenience of only getting one monthly bill for both your Home Phone and broadband. For more information visit http://www.plus.net/residential/phon...phonecallspage

- Simple requirements: All you need to get PlusNet broadband is a BT telephone line. However, with Sky you must subscribe to one of their, often expensive, television packages.

We hope this information is useful, and that it helps you to decide whether you still want to move your broadband service.

Should you wish to remain with us I would be happy to offer a free months service, and to investigate any issues you may have.

Regards,
      xxxxx
      To be honest, I didn't see that last sentance the first time I read ... but I don't think 1 month's free service will make up for 12 a month
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-11-06 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Removed agents name - as standard netiquette

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Thanks Adam - Have done a news story here

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showt...9538#post29538

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Adam

Its no different to any of the other ISP's they are all trying to keep there customers and since SkyBB is only open to Sky customers only or new it makes no difference.

With an attenuation of 38 you should get damn good speeds on the MAX package.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks
      Well, that's what my DG834 is currently telling me.

However, my SNR is currently 5db - which could mean frequent disconnects (as I understand it) ... which doesn't happen at the moment with maxADSL ??

As I said, my worry will be Sky seeing BT telling them I can only get 1MB (for whatever reason) and despite asking for MAX when ordering, they won't give it to me at the start.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 19-11-06 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User

Suffering Sam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 952
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Tie pair

I am registered since August 2007. No BB yet. Modem Router Gathering dust more than a month. Provisioning team tells me Faulty TIE PAIRS at exchange. But no one knows when or hwo this will be repaired. I Guess its a fob off. Any ideas anyone ?? Activation date was supposed to be 26th Ocotber. BTW says they donthave any instructions or oders from SKY. WHat a farce ! Pl help.
      Last edited by Suffering Sam; 19-11-06 at 07:49 PM.

Suffering Sam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 952
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tie pairs

Btw my exchange is Edgware, Middlesex and I am not even migrating from any other ISP. FIrst time !

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @Adam

LLU is nothing to do with BT they have 0 say in what you can get mate you go on MAX and they give you what you can get, NM may well cause you some problems but there is some help and fixes available on here
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Sam

Sorry mate that is a problem in a lot of exchanges though not mine and I am only down the road from you, my neighbour migrated over 2 weeks ago and is a happy chap.

Good luck when it does happen though
      Ray

click here

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast