Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New user - can I increase my speed?

This is a discussion on New user - can I increase my speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. Just got connected to Sky MAX yesterday. When signing up I was told I could get 13mb from ...

aks
      aks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New user - can I increase my speed?

Hi all.

Just got connected to Sky MAX yesterday. When signing up I was told I could get 13mb from my line. I connected the router to the main BT socket in the house and got the following stats:

Connection = 6393 (down) / 766 (up)
      Line Att. = 39.0 (down) / 20.3 (up)
      Noise Margin = 7.4 (down) / 12.0 (up)

I only have a limited knowledge on this but I think the noise margin isn't very good, right? It should be higher for a better connection?

I was going to state my distance from the exchange but I can't find the website that I checked it from last time, I think it's about 1.7km. Also, my friend who is about 200m closer to the exchange is on a F2S up to 8mb and gets about a 6mb connection, so maybe my speed is realistically the best I'm going to get?

Nevertheless, is there anything on the router I can tweak to try and get a bit more speed?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Your noise margin is fine, no you can't tweak your router for more speed, yes you can probably get a higher connection speed.

Please read this for more info:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5969

Then try your router in the test socket. If your connection speed improves then you will benefit from improving your connection filtering.

aks
      aks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the link. So you think there's no point in tweaking my SNR ratio?

Test socket? Where's that then? On (what I believe to be) the main socket there's only one 'hole' to put the telephone cable in.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You can't tweak your SNR, only the noise margin. Increasing the margin will drop your speed. Decreasing it will increase it but below about 6.5 will give connection problems.

The test socket is behind the faceplate of your mastersocket (assuming it's an NTE5).

If you read the post I pointed you to plus the following then all should be clear:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Let me know if you are confused by any of this.