Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems downloading with Sky Q Router

This is a discussion on Problems downloading with Sky Q Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We took delivery of our new Sky Q router exactly a week ago as we prepare to be upgraded from ...

Chargrilled is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problems downloading with Sky Q Router

We took delivery of our new Sky Q router exactly a week ago as we prepare to be upgraded from ADSL to Fibre next week, and we've been having constant problems with it.
      The first one had to be replaced, and the second Q router has just been installed. My PC is connected to the router via a Cat 6 ethernet while all other devices (3 kindles and a phone) are connected over WiFi.

The problem is that whenever I download something on my PC via Steam, it renders the broadband completely unusable for any other program on my PC, and will sometimes drop the wireless connections to the Kindles too.
      While downloading games/software at 2MB/s on the old silver Sky Hub (the one with the black stand), my ping on Teamspeak would sit at around 80-90, and although websites and YouTube videos would load considerably slower, they would still load.
      Now whenever I download anything sizeable on the Sky Q hub at 2MB/s using our ADSL broadband, my ping on Teamspeak shoots up into ridiculous figures (see below) and I lose connection to every single server I'm connected to, websites load to a blank white page if at all, and my parents' kindles will be lose internet entirely while my download carries on fine. Even forcibly throttling Steam's downloads to 2MB/s (the max it will normally reach on ADSL) does not stop this.

I've already been on the phone to Sky and tried splitting the 5Ghz band from the 2.4Ghz and giving it its own SSID for my PC to connect to, but that didn't work. Manually setting the 2.4Ghz channel to 7 (as recommend by the Sky staff on the phone) didn't work.

Any ideas?

**Edit** Limiting the bandwidth that Steam can use to 1.5MB/s (12Mb/s) allows me to stay connected to Teamspeak servers and load websites or non-HD videos. This is still a problem, however, as this was never required with the old silver Sky Hub. Also, other things like non-Steam game launchers, web browsers, or our Sky+ HD Box will not allow manual throttling of the bandwidth they use, causing the loss of connection to other devices/applications when downloads are done using them.

Hoping that this is only a temporary problem that will be fixed when our Fibre is installed.

(Note: Copy and pasted from Sky forums as my post is hidden there for some reason)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Problems downloading with Sky Q Router

It was invisible to members here as well. As an anti-spam measure new posters are not allowed to post links or attachments until they have made 10 posts. Anything which contravenes the rule goes into moderation until it is picked up by a Moderator.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.