Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DOS Attacks from 87.86.189.16,53

This is a discussion on DOS Attacks from 87.86.189.16,53 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have set my router to email me when a DOS packet is received. The following is an example. UDP ...

bmw307 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

DOS Attacks from 87.86.189.16,53

I have set my router to email me when a DOS packet is received. The following is an example.

UDP Packet - Source:87.86.189.16,53 Destination:90.195.117.22,4283 - [DOS]

I get about a dozen of these per day. They are always from the same source which I believe is the Sky DNS Server. The only variation is the port (4283) in the Destination address.

Any ideas why I am getting these, and can I ignore them?

Also, for the record, my connection is VERY fragile and I have to regularly reboot the router ... usually several times a day. I have been a user for over 2 months so I am VERY patient! However, there was a period of about 85 hours when it stayed up continuously! I have over half a dozen machines connected, both direct and wirelessly, ranging from a PDA; though various laptops with Win98 and XP; to Win2k and XP Pro desktops - so the problem can't be with the network adapter!!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Yes you can ignore those UDP packets from the DNS server - a dozen a day doesn't really qualify as a DOS attack

With regard to your connection stability have you read the following?:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5969

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

The most likely cause of a "fragile" connection is having too low a noise margin.

The first post above explains a bit about noise and shows you how to interrogate your router to find out your connection stats, the second is a forum which will tell you what you can do if noise is the issue.

bmw307 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Saturday. I'll ignore the packets. Thanks also for the pointers to the NM posts. Some good, comprehensive information and advice that I will try to put into practice.
      Yes, my noise margin is low - 60dB att. and NM varies between 5.5dB and 12dB dependng on time of day. Must have done my last reboot with poor NM to fix speed - currently 1280kbps. NM is now 11.3dB but it's early in the morning!
      I'm one of the unfortunate few with just a BT junction box so will have to put a complete back-box and faceplate in so I can bring my wiring into the 21st century. Hopefully that will improve things. Pity Sky haven't managed to implement dynamic speed change which would solve my problem instantly.