Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is Sky BB worth it or do i stick for the time being??? advice much appreciated

This is a discussion on Is Sky BB worth it or do i stick for the time being??? advice much appreciated within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @LightSpeed seeing as the UkOnline service is provided through Easynet/Skys LLU infastructure I dont really see a difference? Maybe just ...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @LightSpeed seeing as the UkOnline service is provided through Easynet/Skys LLU infastructure I dont really see a difference?

Maybe just a different cost?

2. Advertisement
      daxus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Keynes
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well I migrated from an 8Mb LLU UKOnline to Sky BB just like you are considering doing....

The migration willl involve downtime as this has to be done as a cease and re-provide, this resulted in 2 weeks without broadband for me. This was down to BT engineer availability at my exchange and was no reflection on Sky. Both Sky and BT were very efficient and did things exactly when they said they would. Due to UKOnline being a bit overwhelmed it did take me about 6 weeks to finally get my line ceased by them, but since I was connected the whole time apart from the last couple of days that was no big deal.

The biggest difference between the connection with Sky and the one with UKOnline is down to the fact that one is on an ADSL 8Mb connection and the other is an ADSL2 up to 16Mb connection. That may sound obvious, but ADSL2 and the higher speeds are much more susceptible to noise on the line. This is root cause for a big percentage of the complaints you see. This would true whether you were with Sky or not. Unless you are located almost on top of your exchange this will probably affect you too. The level of noise on phone lines increases during the evening so if you have a marginal connection thats typically when you'll get issues. What I have found is that if I synch the router during the evening it does synch at a lower speed but remains connected much more robustly.

I am 1.18km from my exchange and I get a pretty stable connection of about 14500 kbps, whereas I can synch unreliably at about 15500 during the day. I never had dropped connections or synch issues with UKOnline at 8Mb.

There is another issue, and its one that other people suffer from and I can't quite see what causes it. And that is, although you may synch at a particular speed, some downloads are often quite a bit slower than that speed, and the speed may fluctuate quite a bit during the download. This does seem less of an issue when synched at the lower speed. I never had this issue with UKOnline at 8Mb.

Anyway, thats how it was for me. Glad I changed, faster connection and it saves me 15 a month.

tsjarlie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham THWM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      UKOnline still make you pay 80 quid for a new router, the same one SKY are using if you want 22mb ADSL2+, A lot of customers including myself were annoyed about this because the compulsory Actiontec router we'd paid for when we signed up was supposed to be for 22mb, even if you're an existing customer and you want to upgrade or you've already gone bought the same Netgear router elsewhere, you have no choice but to pay.
      I moved home recently so decided to swap to Sky.
      I read somewhere recently that UKOnline only have around 35000 customers left.
      When i tried their broadband checker and I'm still on the same exchange after moving, they could only offer me 1 or 2mb product on BTs network Due to overwhelming demand of their LLU services.

UKOnline could be getting phased out afterall?
      Last edited by tsjarlie; 18-11-06 at 02:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12