Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sync/Connection problem with Draytek 2860n (Just Happened)

This is a discussion on Sync/Connection problem with Draytek 2860n (Just Happened) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Newbie here, be kind :-) I'll start by saying I know and fully understand the issues around not using a ...

Muphy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stonehaven
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2860n
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Sync/Connection problem with Draytek 2860n (Just Happened)

Newbie here, be kind :-)

I'll start by saying I know and fully understand the issues around not using a Sky router on my line however........

I have had a Draytek 2860n connected for some months now without issue, I followed the instructions regarding MER setup from Draytek and everything has worked a treat including L2TP and SSL VPN as well as a happy family and a lot of flexibility for what is a more complex home network which includes IP PBX, NAS, Door Entry, CCTV and the like. Last night all of a sudden I could not get connected and all I see on the router for WAN1 is "PPP Loading" My Draytek has the correct (Sagem) MAC address and I pulled the login credentials correctly. I know this because it was working!

Phoned Sky who confirmed that my line was OK and then got the inevitable question which I answered honestly. I bang the Sky Sagem router on the line and it came up fine. Is there anyone else who has seen this issue recently?

What is even more screwy is that when I reconfigure everything so that the Draytek uses the Sky router simply as a modem/connection/DMZ, I see the Draytek pick up an IP from DHCP on the Sagem but it does not retain that for more than about 30 seconds. I have other boxes on my network which can act as DHCP servers and when I test the Draytek against one of those, the Draytek gets DHCP straight away and holds it.

There is nothing to lead me to beleive that there is a problem with my Draytek router though I will need to do more testing.

I'm not a consiracy theorist but is there any chance that Sky have done something to recognise when another router is connected to the Sagem and not allow that connection? I have been through all my settings and a load of stuff on line and I simply cannot get to the bottom of this. My next option is to fire up Wireshark and try and see what is happening with the DHCP handshake.

I do not look for technical support from Sky and know I will not get it however this is durned frustrating. I looked through this site for similar posts but did not see anything suitably similar hence this post.

After being with Sky for many years as a broadband and satellite customer I will have to seriously consider leaving if I cannot get this resolved.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I'll close by saying (with no ego) that I am responsible for the network infrastructure of a large university so I kinda know my way around networking but obviously not when it comes to my own home :-(

Thanks in advance,

Mark

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sync/Connection problem with Draytek 2860n (Just Happened)

You mention you have set it up to use MER, Sky have stopped using MER on most of their ADSL connections, so that could be your problem. There should be no need to clone the Sagem's MAC, just set it up to use PPPoA using the username and password from here. Sky BB Pasword Calculator

VPI..0
      VCI..38
      Multiplex..VC-MUX
      MTU...1500 bytes.

Welcome to the Forum and you need have no worry about Sky barring your router. Sky do not object to using your own router on ADSL. It is still barred on Fibre.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK, I'll change the WAN settings tonight when I get home and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for getting back to me Tom, much appreciated!

Mark

Thanks

So, reporting back I tried the reset last night including disabling the DHCP Option 60 and 61 and still no connection, gave up as wife and kids were baying for internet, apparantly the world ends if the do not get to FB every 24 hours I did wireshark the sky router again to verify that the credentials I have been using are correct and they are.

I did get connected this morning for a very short time using G-DMT modulation but it dropped again pretty quickly. Recommissioned the Sagem to keep the family happy.

Have an open call with Draytek and sent them my config and a bunch of screenshots so hopefully they can make sense of that. I do not beleive there is a problem with the router but with only one line to test against it's a wee bit difficult. Back in the day when I was responsible for 21C Networks at that well known telecoms company of two letters I could get any number of lines but not these days!

Had a long conversation with Sky yesterday explaining that I was about to leave for another ISP but they would give no further information beyond the line looks fine and I should be using their router. They did offer to send me a new router but that comes with a 12 month contract extension and the router does not have the functionality I'm looking for.

I'll update once I hear back from Draytek who seem to be very responsive on first impressions.

Thanks,

Mark

gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

No need to extract the password anymore, I use these details on standard broadband and it works fine, have you tried these details?

Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
      Password: install
      Connection Type: PPPoA
      VPI: 0
      VCI: 38
      MTU: 1500
      Multiplex: VC Mux

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gmangt4 For This Useful Post:

Muphy (12-11-16)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Using the O2 login will only work on exchanges where O2 previously had a presence. eg. It will not work on my exchange where O2 never offered a service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Muphy (12-11-16)

Thanks

Worth a try, I'll do that tonight and advise.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks

Chuff Me!!!!!!!

The O2 credentials worked, I am now reconnected to Sky. Just done it so not going to say the problem is solved just yet, will wait for 24 Hours BUT gotta shout out a big thank you to you guys who have helped. I'll drop another update tomorrow if all is still well.

Thanks all

Mark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Muphy For This Useful Post:

gmangt4 (12-11-16)