Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Attempting to switch to Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2, having problems.

This is a discussion on Attempting to switch to Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2, having problems. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have decided to switch out my ADSL Sky Hub SR102 for a new router / modem combo because my ...

atwright147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Attempting to switch to Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2, having problems.

I have decided to switch out my ADSL Sky Hub SR102 for a new router / modem combo because my PS4 kills my internet connection when it updates games etc...

I have purchased a Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2. I have also updated the Vigor to the latest available firmware (from 2015).

I am finding that some sites are fully loading at normal speeds (all of google.co.uk) and some are loading extremely slowly (1 min+) and not fully loading e.g. images and css are missing. Slow loading is especially affecting amazon.co.uk.

The Vigor 120 is still using it's default settings (I have reset it) and I have experimented with MTU set to 1492 and 1500 (both the same result). I went through the Synology set up, and set it to PPPoE using username: install@o2broadband.co.uk password: install (from: Solved: Replace the Sky Router - Sky Community)

Any idea what I have missed?

EDIT:
      I should probably clarify that my issues with Amazon are not being caused by the PS4, as it was off during this time -- this is a connectivity issue.
      Last edited by atwright147; 23-09-16 at 11:29 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,601 Posts

Re: Attempting to switch to Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2, having problems.

What is your sync speed? If it is low then it will not matter much what you do, the PS unless it can be regulated will suck up all that is available. Is there a QoS setting on your router which you can use to regulate your devices?

You could try using a public DNS if you are not already doing so. 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 for Google and 208.67.222.123, 208.67.220.123 for OpenDNS

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Attempting to switch to Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2, having problems.

Thanks for getting back to me

This is what my Sky Hub tells me:

DownStream Connection Speed: 19694
      UpStream Connection Speed: 797

And my Synology tells a similar story.

The Synology router supports QoS (one of the reasons behind buying this one), so I m pretty sure I can tame it fairly easily.

I have tried using Google DNS (8.8.8.8) but my problem persists.

Any other thoughts?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also, these are my "Router Statistics":

Attempting to switch to Synology RT1900ac and a Vigor 120 v2, having problems.-screen-shot-2016-09-22-20.09.39.jpg

Noise doesn't seem the best.

Thanks

Your download is excellent but your upload could be a lot better. You should be able to get at least a 50% increase. Contrary to the opinion of some other, the upload is just as important as the download. If you can get yours improved it may make a lot of difference. Give Sky a call and see if they can reset your upload, whether they will do it or not depends a lot on the advisor. Some will have the knowledge and expertise to do it, others will tell you its not possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

But what do I do about the Vigor / Synology issue?

Thanks

The slow upload could be part of your problem, especially if it is effecting images. Very basically, when you download anything it is done in 'packets'. When a packet is received an acknowledgement is sent back that it is OK and the next packet can be sent. If your upload is poor the acknowledgement will be slow, slowing down the whole download process.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Interesting.

Can you help me to understand further?

Everything works pretty well with the standard SR102, does that mean that the Vigor and Synology are more sensitive to this issue? It seems weird that that would be the case but I will call Sky tomorrow.

What, specifically, should I tell/ask the Sky rep?

Again, thank you for helping

Thanks

There is a good chance there is a compatibility issue with the Vigor. There have been many reports about 3rd party routers not performing as well as the Sky issued gear. Have you considered using the SR102 as a modem with the Synology used as the router. It is not possible to put the Hub into true modem mode, but turning off the wireless, disabling DCHP server and using the DMZ gives a reasonable result. Have a look at the PDF here as a guide. Using the DLink DIR613.

Just ask Sky to inrcease your upload speed as it is not a high as it should be.

TomD

Useful Utilites