Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Riley87

I'm looking to switch my router to 5ghz

This is a discussion on I'm looking to switch my router to 5ghz within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm being told this is not possible with a sky hub so can I buy any 3rd party 5ghz router ...

Riley87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm looking to switch my router to 5ghz

I'm being told this is not possible with a sky hub so can I buy any 3rd party 5ghz router or is there a list of compatible routers somewhere?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,186 Times in 2,060 Posts

Re: I'm looking to switch my router to 5ghz

Hello Riley and welcome to the forums.

Your information is sadly correct. The SR101 does not support the 5GHz band.

There are however a variety of options open to you. Just now some of them are in flux due to Sky rolling out IPv6 across their network and not all the third party routers are compatible with Sky's protocols. However below are some options that you may with to investigate. Look around these forums for more information on each of them or ask for more information it you need it:

1. Sky Q Hub (ER110) - Will work without the BTO Modem. Supports 2.4GHz up to 144mb/s, like the SR101 and also supports 5GHz up to 1300MB/s - Available from Sky
      2. Almost any Cable router connected via the SR101, using the SR101 in "DMZ mode". The cable router connects via it's WAN Ethernet port - Using the DLink DIR613.
      3. A cable router that supports Opt.#61 and is compatible with Sky's IPv6 set up
      4. Specific FTTC compatible routers with built-in FTTC Modems. These routers need to support Opt.#61 which is used for passing on the log in details which Sky's servers require
      5. Add a suitable WiFi Extender that connects via an Ethernet cable to your SR101 and supports the 5GHz band

The first two options will work. The first without any issues as it's Sky's newest router. The second may not fully support IPv6 from your devices, but will work fine.

Option three may require you to install a custom firmware. The product will need to be researched first. As this type of router doesn't have a built-in Modem, you'll need to keep the BTO Modem. There are several threads on setting up a router for this and support on the custom firmware sites for configuring your router. In recent months there hasn't been too many talking about this method. I think that most have gone for the 4th option instead. IPv6 support hasn't therefore been talked about much with this option.

The fourth option does need a little work. The members here can provide you with a huge amount of information to support you in your choices. It would help to know your budget though. A couple of the latest Netgear routers are known to work, so too are some of the Asus routers.

The final option can be simple enough. It would allow you to place the WiFi Extender in a good place for the WiFi signal. You can leave or disable the WiFI on your SR101 as you desire.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply Scubbie I appreciate all the information. Option 5 sounds like the best one if it just plugs into my sky hub, can you recommend any good wifi extenders? And also how would I go about switching it to 5ghz once i have it plugged in. The price doesn't really matter as I don't mind a one off payment if it's going to improve my connection
      Last edited by Riley87; 03-09-16 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

There are a variety of WiFi Extenders around. I haven't looked at them all for a while and the crucial information needed will be in their respective manuals, which are all on-line now.

Could I ask you to search for a few, check out their prices and ensure that they cover the 5GHz band at a suitable connection speed that you can use.

Take a look at the manual for each and see if they only connect via WiFi or can be connected via the Ethernet cable. Many use the WiFi or PowerLine/HomePlug method. If speed is important to you then WiFi is not good. The HomePlug/PowerLine method generally works fine, but won't be good for the real performance users.

If you can come up with a short list and need someone to help whittle it down, post up the list here and let us know what the list is and why features you like or dislike on each and what you're looking for.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks a lot, i'lloyda take a look tonight and see what I can find. Will post my findings later
      Scubbie likes this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks

The reason why I wouldn't recommend one that connects via WiFi is because the performance really does suffer.

The traffic from your laptop, for example, goes to the WiFi Booster. It's verified and then then passed via WiFi to your router. Where it's verified again and decrypted. Perhaps at the WiFi booster point the transmission is decrypted and re-encrypted.

All this slows down anything and is repeated from the router to your laptop.

From what I saw, that BT Booster connects via the WiFi not Ethernet or HomePlug.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My bad, I thought it was able to connect via ethernet. Hopefully this one is better?

Netgear N900 Video and Gaming WiFi Adapter | Maplin

Thanks

Looks nice, but looking around it's very much the same.

Netgear WNCE4004 - WNCE4004 | Gaming & Home Theater Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR

I've just had a look at the Netgear products page and it seems that all their current stuff works this way. In top of what I mentioned in the previous post, because the WiFi Boosters are using the same channel as the laptop, as in the example, it's fighting with your laptop for a clean signal between it and your router. This slows things down even more.

Take a look at the page I've linked below. It appears to have quite a few HomePlug options. Once you've found something you're interested in please do look around to see if you can get a better price:

HomePlug WiFi Extenders and Access Points - broadbandbuyer

Some are 2.4GHz only, others support the 5GH channels too (802.11AC)