Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband killing my BT line's dial tone

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband killing my BT line's dial tone within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, Been with Sky 2 weeks and on the point of a breakdown now ! (hence the reason for ...

vinesh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922******
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky Broadband killing my BT line's dial tone

Hi everyone, Been with Sky 2 weeks and on the point of a breakdown now ! (hence the reason for joining the forum). The Sky equipment at my exchange has cause me to lose my dial tone on my BT number multiple times. Rang numerous times over the week and got put through to Manilla, Philipines/ India where the operators had to idea how to deal with the issue. BT will be closing the fault because Sky have not acknowledged the problem. Every time I ring I get conflicting messages and now during my last call they have told me the problem has been fixed (possibly magically). Lets wait till tonight before I update this further....

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site vinesh

You need to call 151 and chose the option to run a line test as it sounds like a PSTN fault which is a BT problem not SkyBB.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

vinesh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922******
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry BT Engineer

Ray, The BT Openreach engineer came round on Saturday and identified an issue at the exchange where the SKY equipment is located. He gave me a choice of either having my phone line back or remain on Sky Broadband. Guess which I choose? So no broadband until somelooks at the issue regarding "cross wires/ports/racks". They have emailed SKY but have had no reply as yet....

sh500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Vinesh,

I've been having what i think is an almost identical problem to yours....

I've had the fault for about 3 weeks now (i've posted on another thread too).

My dial tone has been on and off during this period of time. I've had two BT engineers visit and on the last visit they have said that the dial tone problem should be sorted- they never said anything about my broadband connection causing it (although, im pretty sure it is- had no problems in the last 5 years with BT broadband!). Sky have acknowledged that fault is with one the exchanges and 'work is still ongoing'; they haven't given me any date for resolution yet.

Let me know if and when you are up and running and I'll do the same

Cheers

dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Non now
      Thanks
      There seems to be a number of treads now on the "no dial tone" theme!

Has this particular issue been resolved by Sky/BT?

Might be worth a poll?

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @dgilbert2

It would be good to know what the actual cause of this is and also if and how it was resolved for people.

dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Non now
      Thanks
      I agree, it would be good to know. Plenty of posts about the problem but few about fixes.

Maybe someone can advise if this has been fixed and what needed to be done?
      Last edited by Wheelie; 23-11-06 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User

paul01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Absolutely useless Sky & Bt

Still a problem with me after 2 weeks, basically BT and Sky could not organise a **** up in a brewery. I told them 2 weeks ago it was possibly to do with tiepairs and now they tell me it will take take 2 weeks.

Tier 3 absolutely useless, on the verge of suicide no one seems to care, who can I complain to.

Both organisations blame each other, I get cut off when I ring up, told its fixed when its not, told it will be done in 48 hrs and its not I have just had enough.

Gone back to dial up until sorted
      Last edited by paul01; 23-11-06 at 10:13 PM.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @paul01

I phoned up Sky customer services and told them about the situation of not having the internet for 4 weeks now. Their response- "oh we cant really do anything, if the tech team say it will take X amount of weeks then thats how long it will take". Their form of compensation was to refund the amount for the time I was without service. I'm on the Max package and the 10 monthly fee is nominal to me- I signed up to Sky to receive a [working] internet service, which is worth far more than the monthly fee.