Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help needed: Unable to get Gigabit Switch to work with SR102

This is a discussion on Help needed: Unable to get Gigabit Switch to work with SR102 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I have been using Sky Fibre for a while now with the SR102 hub but my my setup ...

hammers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help needed: Unable to get Gigabit Switch to work with SR102

Hi All

I have been using Sky Fibre for a while now with the SR102 hub but my my setup at home means i require additional ethernet ports to the 4 provided by the SR102. It would make sense if the devices on my network communicated (internally) over Gigabit LAN.

So I purchased the Netgear GS308 (8way) Gigabit switch which I thought was a plug and play affair however i've been unable to get the switch to work with the SR102.

I have the SR102 connected via Cat 6 to the Gigabit switch. The remaining 7 ports on the Gigabit switch are connected to PCs/laptops, SMART TVs & gaming devices with Cat 6 cabling.

However, none of the devices connected to the Gigabit switch are connecting to the internet or each other. When my laptop is connected to the Gigabit switch, it does not connect the network. Looks like the the devices connected to the Gigabit switch are not being allocated an IP address by the SR102.

Help needed: Unable to get Gigabit Switch to work with SR102-switch.jpg

As mentioned above, all of the settings on the SR102 are stock. Have I missed a step in terms of configuration of the SR102 (port forwarding, DHCP etc)?

It crossed my mind that the Gigabit switch could be faulty so I borrowed a known working 8 way switch, the TP-Link TL-SF1008D.

The TP-Link switch did not change anything unfortunately. None of the devices connect to the internet or each other. Looks like they are not being allocated an IP address by the SR102.

Can only think that I'm doing something wrong the SR102 configuration. Can anyone help please? Any help much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Help needed: Unable to get Gigabit Switch to work with SR102

Have you tried a different cable between the SR102 and new switch?

- - - Updated - - -

Try a CAT5 cable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gmangt4 For This Useful Post:

hammers (21-06-16)

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Its not ebay network cables is it?
      Its all cca/ccs from there and is junk

I picked up a pile of cat 7 cables from there for a few reasons
      firstly it has to be shielded and secondly they arnt supposed to use cca/ccs

anyway i have a network length device (works out the attenuation like with dsl)
      a 1.5m cable had a lengh of 18m in the tester
      a 5m cable refused to link at gigabit even though its supposed to be rated for 10 gigabit

moral of the story be very careful buying network cable from ebay
      and make sure its explicitly solid copper or stranded copper

as a comparison i have a few 20m run's under the floorboards and in the walls that i fitted a good 15 years ago
      when i moved in running all around the house and its standard cat5 cable not cat5e (picked up a full reel of it from rs components and is branded belden)
      that stuff generally register's as half its length on the tester e.g. a 20m run register's as 10 or 12m
      and it also works fine at 10 gigabit nevermind gigabit

this is the exact stuff i got
      and trust me its worse than phone line cable
      had murder getting my money back (i ordered about 20 cables in different lengths)
      and he kept offering me 10% back he didnt seem to understand that the cable wasnt good for anything but the bin

Last edited by Shonk; 20-06-16 at 12:47 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shonk For This Useful Post:

hammers (21-06-16)

hammers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies both.

So i tried the gigabit switch with cat5 patch cable, and it worked fine!

Turns out the cat6 solid cabling was terminated with the wrong plugs as the guy who terminated the cables used stranded plugs.

Can anyone recommend cat6 solid plugs as i can only see plugs online that are suitable for both solid&stranded which probably wont give the best connection?

Thanks,