Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband settling down period query and odd phone line crackling issue

This is a discussion on Broadband settling down period query and odd phone line crackling issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, my first post and I just want to say what a great site this is, I've used it several ...

hamper10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Broadband settling down period query and odd phone line crackling issue

Hi, my first post and I just want to say what a great site this is, I've used it several times over the years for reference.

I have 2 queries, firstly I've just moved back to Sky broadband/line rental from BT and want to use my old Sagem f@st 2504 router instead of the SKy hub I was sent, I've got the Sagem up and running but is it ok to use this router during the 10 day broadband settling down period or do I need to use the Sky hub until this period is over? Sky says don't unplug the Sky hub for 10 day so they can test the line and select the best settings for speed and stability but like I said I'm not sure If a different router can be plugged in during this time.

Secondly I have a really odd phone line crackling issue that appeared the day I switch back to Sky, when I have the Sky hub and phone connected using the microfilter, I get a crackling noise on my phone line, if I plug the phone straight into the phone socket, I still get the crackling sound, the odd thing is when I connect my Sagem router and phone using the microfilter, the crackling disappears, If anything would make it stop, I'd of thought it would be when the phones plugged directly into the phone socket but this isn't the case.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband settling down period query and odd phone line crackling issue

It will not really matter what router you use, its the line that's being tested, not the router. The SR102 although not great is far better than the old 2504, especially if it is not the N model. If you have crackling on your line in the Test socket then you should report it as a fault. Try another phone first, if you can borrow one, as it may be yours that which is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

hamper10 (20-05-16)

hamper10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband settling down period query and odd phone line crackling issue

Thanks for your quick reply, maybe I'll stick with the new one then, I saw many people slagging off the hub on here so I thought it wasn't up to much, as for the phone I'll see if I can borrow a phone of a friend though I think mine is ok because I was using fine just a few days ago when I was with BT.