Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys title says it all really, I live in a houseshare and with 6 people here the amount of ...

Forcedreboots is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage?

Hi guys

title says it all really, I live in a houseshare and with 6 people here the amount of traffic at any one time takes its toll on the speed we get here. It's not ideal and we live with it, it's fine really. However we had a guy move in here a couple of months ago, who's very into streaming TV shows, gaming etc, and whenever he is home the Internet is cutting out every few minutes at times. We've had other tenants here who use the Internet for gaming/streaming and it's never caused an overload or anything. We have one of the older sagen routers.

Call me paranoid but I just have a hunch that he's rebooting through the router homepage as to try and force all devices off of the Internet for a better speed for himself, doing it enough so the rest of the tenants will adopt a "we'll give up for the night" attitude. He's been a bit troublesome since he moved in and it's definitely not out of the question, particularly as it started a few days after he moved in and was never a problem before.

Before i talk to him about it id want to be absolutely sure this is the case, and I'm wondering if there is any way of viewing a "reboot log", or anything similar. Perhaps linking it back to the name of a device or a MAC address. Is it either something I can view myself, or can sky see this sort of thing if I was to call them?

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage?

When somebody logs into the router, the local IP address of the device from where the login was done is recorded in the router log provided that "Connections to the Web-based interface of this router" is ticked (on Security > Logs page of the router UI). If that's what is heppening, you would then need to be able to identify said device from its MAC address or Device Name to help identify who did it.

I would suggest that you, assuming you are the bill-payer and therefore the system administrator, should login to the router and change the login password (on Maintenance > Set password) to something that only you know! Provided you keep the login details to yourself, that will put a stop to any deliberate remote rebooting by another user.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi speedyrite, thanks a lot for that. At the moment, that connections to the web based interface box is not ticked. If I tick it now, will it only show connections made from today, rather than past log ins?

I will also take what you say about a password change on board, it may be for the best

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes, it will start logging from the point of change. Don't forget to click on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page after typing in the current password, the new password and confirming the new password. Then logout of the router UI. Then login to the router UI using the new password (to check that it has taken effect). Then finally logout and sit back to see how it goes!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks again!

just to confirm, does this log also show something along the lines of "device rebooted by.." Followed by a MAC address or device name, or does it purely show who has logged into the router?

many thanks

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It will show whose local IP address logged in to the router. You can see the device name (if any) by looking at the list of connected devices. Once you have changed the password though, you will have eliminated the possibility of anybody else except you from rebooting the router remotely. So if you continue to experience reboots, then either it must have been a physical reboot - i.e. somebody turned it off and on again OR the connection has dropped and restarted for some other reason (e.g. line fault etc).

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Be aware that pressing the reset button on the rear will reset the router changing any passwords you change back to default. So try to keep physical control of the router.
      speedyrite likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Potentially difficult in a shared house, but not impossible. Due to location of master socket being in her room, my daughter "had physical control" of the router at her previous abode. And none of the others even knew that it was possible to remote login to the router, let alone the required password!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, I have changed the password but due to location of the mains keeping router in such a place may be difficult. So regardless of log settings it'll just show who logged in rather than who reset it?

Its fine if that is the case, I just want to be sure thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Also, would a call to sky be able to generate any further information? Can they see who (if anybody) has hit the reset button? Just for peace of mind really. Thanks

Thanks
      Blog Entries

By changing the login password and keeping it secret (known only to yourself) effectively secures the router from a virtual reboot (i.e. a remote reboot via the router user interface by somebody other than you). So it should now be impossible for anybody else (except you) to reboot the router via the user interface. Whenever you login, check the router log and there will be an entry showing the IP address of the device that you logged in from. That's as good as it gets I'm afraid.

Unless you can also locate the router somewhere that only allows you to access it (e.g. in a locked cupboard or in a secure room), the router is NOT secure from a physical reboot (i.e. a reboot via somebody waking up to it and turning it off & on at the mains or by pressing the reset button). If somebody does a physical reboot of the router, the log will show entries to that effect (date, time etc) but you won't know who actually did the deed (unless you set up a secret webcam watching the router!)

The router log is about as good as it gets as far as recording UI login info is concerned, but by all means call Sky and have a chat with them to ask for any further advice that might help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast