Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've even resorted to being sneaky at one site that had problems. I put a spare router with dummy leads ...

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is it possible to tell which device is rebooting through router homepage?

I've even resorted to being sneaky at one site that had problems.
      I put a spare router with dummy leads in the cupboard and hid the real one out of sight.
      The log on the dummy one gave the TIME of the reboot and the log of the real one showed the unusual activity from the culprit just after that time.
      speedyrite and Scubbie like this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Just thought I'd throw a lovely juicy piece into this...

Firstly it might be that the person is just hammering the connection and that the router isn't actually rebooting. Checking the logs would help to determine this. Also cold I suggest that you set up a reserved IP Address for all the devices in the home? This would make it easier to determine which device is doing the offensive work and pick ot the guilty party more easily.

I haven't seen anyone post the connection stats yet. Just what speed is the connection?

So what might be the juicy piece...

Terms and Conditions.
      http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_Broadband_Talk_UK.pdf
      Don’t use Sky Broadband illegally!
      Sky Broadband and Sky’s networks may only be used for lawful purposes in accordance with all laws, statutes and regulations in force from time to time in the United Kingdom (“Laws”).

You may not use Sky Broadband and/or the Sky’s networks to send, receive, store, distribute, transmit, post,
      upload or download any materials or data which:

• violates any Law;
      • is defamatory, offensive, abusive, indecent, obscene, or constitutes harassment;
      • is or may be harmful to minors;
      • promotes or encourages illegal or socially unacceptable or irresponsible behaviour;
      • is in breach of any third party rights (including any third party intellectual property rights);
      • has any fraudulent purpose or effect or involves you impersonating another person or otherwise misrepresenting yourself as the source of any communication; or
      • damages or may damage our name and/or reputation or the name and/or reputation of our sub-contractors or agents.

We have put technical measures in place to prevent you from accessing certain websites that contain illegal
      images of child abuse that are identified from time to time by the Internet Watch Foundation (“IWF”).

Although these filters are comprehensive, they do not provide an absolute guarantee that you will be
      unable to view such illegal images on the internet. In addition, these measures do not filter other content which you may find distasteful, such as “adult” material. On this basis, we recommend that you consider installing additional software on your computer to prevent access to inappropriate websites or content on the internet.

For further information regarding the IWF, please visit their website at www.iwf.org.uk.

Do not violate anyone’s systems or network securityYou must not use Sky Broadband to violate Sky’s networks’ security or any third party’s system or network security by any method including:

• unauthorised access to or use of data, systems or networks, including any attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a system or network;
      • unauthorised monitoring of data or traffic on any network or system without the express authorisation of the owner of the system or network; or
      • unauthorised interference with any user, host, system or network without the express authorisation of the owner of the system or network.

You must not send, receive, store, distribute, transmit, post, upload or download any materials that are designed to violate Sky Network’s security or any third party’s system or network security. Examples of such prohibited material may include (but are not limited to):

• programs containing viruses, worms, corrupted files, hoaxes, Trojan horses or any other items of a destructive or deceptive nature;
      • tools designed to compromise the security of other sites;
      • programs or services designed to send or facilitate the sending of unsolicited advertisements; or
      • programs or services designed to encourage or facilitate a breach of this AUP or any acceptable use policy of another internet services provider.

You must not connect Sky’s networks to insecure machines, equipment or services able to be exploited by others to carry out actions which constitute a breach of this AUP. If you do, you must disconnect it immediately, or allow us to disconnect it for you at your expense.

You must not adapt, modify, decompile or reverse engineer any part of Sky Broadband.

You are responsible for all materials and/or data originating from the machines and/or networks that you
      have connected to Sky’s networks. You must immediately disconnect (and subsequently secure prior to reconnection) machines generating materials and/or data which contravene this AUP once notified of such activity by Sky.
      Some of this might not be applicable, but it is easy enough to find out if you know how.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Not to suggest that it wouldn't be possible in this case, but I know from experience that it can be quite difficult to gather info from all the tenants/residents of shared accommodation, particularly when there is a lot of transience, in order to build an ALC for wifi or reserve IP addresses for specific devices. People come and go. They often don't like to give or share such info. It might just be an innocent case of the user rebooting the router in response to poor/intermittent wifi signal in their room and they think they can fix it by rebooting the router (a classic that I've seen).

I'm not sure I quite understand what is being suggested by referencing that part of the T&Cs! I would have thought that an infringement of that part of the T&Cs would only occur if any suspected outbound activity by the alleged perpetrator affecting Sky's network or another external network could be proved. Otherwise, I suppose interfering with the local network without the permission of the network administrator could possibly be construed as an infringement of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 (probably one of the later amendments of 2006 or 2015). But that would seem to be a bit of a harsh way to deal with the issue in a domestic home environment!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Well it is pretty easy to write it into the contract and set up the router so that it only allows specific users and mac addresses. The only problem then is hiding the router physically .
      Yes I know about MAC spoofing, but if the tenant does then you are going to struggle whatever you do.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

It is possible that the misuse guidance above doesn't help. However knowing what's there can help should things not go in the correct direction.

A friendly word with the landlord/lady could also help if suitable evidence has been gathered first, so long as the gathering is legal.

I don't think that the use of Wireshark would be classed as legal, but there are other things that could help.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

For the avoidance of doubt (as to my comments/suggestions/advice given in this thread), I've assumed that the OP is the landlord/landlady and so has authority to act as the network administrator, but that assumption may of course be incorrect! Totally agree that securing the router, both physically and by use of virtual controls, is the key to success to avoid this sort of situation.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the OP is on Every Day Lite as his/her profile says, then any more than 1 or 2 users will struggle with the connection. This applies especially if anyone is using Torrents and gobbling up the Upstream bandwidth.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12