Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Broadband problems, Advice requested.

This is a discussion on Broadband problems, Advice requested. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, long post but please bear with me as I want to give as much detail as I can. For ...

Steph2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Broadband problems, Advice requested.

Hi, long post but please bear with me as I want to give as much detail as I can. For the past month or so i've been having problems with my broadband as far as it regularly disconnecting.

About a month ago we phoned up & the lady I spoke to on the phone said that she could see an external fault & that a BT engineer would come have a look within 3 days. So a few days later a BT open reach engineer arrived & plugged into the BT box on the wall outside our home & said he had detected a fault somewhere between there & the box thats just a bit down the road. He went & did some more checks & determined that the problem was at the top of the telephone pole & spend 10-15 minutes up there doing something & when he came down he said he had found a ground fault which he was confident he had fixed.

After he went my internet reconnected & all seemed fine for a while, My router's SNR was more stable than it had been for a while. However within an hour it started disconnecting again but given how i'd just been told the external fault was fixed I convinced myself that the fault was internal & decided to wait a few weeks so that I could buy all new cabling & equipment.

For the past 3 years I had been running a 20m DSL cable from the BT master socket (With an ADSL faceplate) in the hall to the router upstairs & all had been running well until recently, But I figured since it was a cheap cable I'd look at changing the setup & eventually decided to do away with that & run a new extension cable from the A+B connections on the master socket faceplate upto an ADSL extension socket which I brought from ADSL Nation as i'd heard very good things about there ADSL equipment. I also decided to buy a new DSL cable from them & some twisted pair phone cable to run the extension.

Over the past few weeks it seems i've been put on the line training or whatever its called & my speeds have dropped from 19meg down, 1.3meg up to 10meg down, 688k up) & Today the internet was really bad this morning & for the 1st time I noticed a lot of cracking appearing on the phone line, There had been a faint hiss for the past few weeks but now its a full blow hissing/cracking/popping. I took the faceplate off the master & plugged just the phone into the test & all was quiet.... Until I plugged the DSL cable in & the router began to connect to the line (Via an old microfilter) at which point the hissing etc... would return. I tested a few filters just to be sure it wasn't faulty & it was the same with all of them.
      A few hours later the package with the new cables etc... arrived & I wired everything up according to the instructions & triple checked all the connections & wires were correct before plugging the faceplate back into the master socket. And just like before there was a lot of cracking, I again checked all the connections on my end & am confident that the extension wiring is good.

Now the obvious thing is to again contact Sky & report the problem which may again result in a BT engineer been sent out. However I've been told that if no fault is decetcted or if they decide its something down to you they will charge you for the visit & currently we just don't have the spare money to hand to risk that so I want to be completely sure its nothing my end, Hence why I'm posting this to see if there is any additional checks or anything I can do to be completely sure its something outside & that there are not going to be charged for a call out or something.

my current router stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12287 kbps 799 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0db 14.6db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 10.3db

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband problems, Advice requested.

It could be the router but just to rule out anything else connect your telephone to the test socket using a known good micro-filter and do a quiet line test.

If all is well site your router near the master socket and with the router switched off connect it to the filter using a short DSL cable (ideally the one that Sky supplied).

Repeat the quiet line test, initially while the router is still switched off and again after it is powered up and connected to the internet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll get the router downstairs tomorrow & run some more checks while checking over all the connections & cables again, If i'm still having issues & all looks OK i'll phone Sky & see about getting someone from BT out again.

An odd thing I forgot to mention is that the problems seem to be especially bad on Friday's, I still get some disconnects Monday-Thursday & Saturday/Sunday but it seems to be far worse on Friday's, Especially later in the day & into the evening?

Just a final bit of info regarding my setup. I've got a Sky D-link DSL-2640S router. We have a BT Master socket with this faceplate which I brought about 3 years ago. We have a voice only extension wired upto terminals 2+5 with the new ADSL extension wired to the A+B terminals on the faceplate wired using CW1308 twisted pair cable, The extension is something like 7-8m long. The extension socket is an ADSL Nation filtered extension with the 2 blue/white cabled hooked upto the screw terminals as per the instructions as seen in this image & then we have a 5m RJ11 DSL cable going from there to the router.

Previously both extensions were audio only wired upto the 2+5 terminals on the faceplate with a 30m RJ11 DSL cable hooking me straight into the ADSL port on the master faceplate, I'd had this setup since 2013 & had had no problems. It was that DSL cable which I thought was the problem which was why I decided to change things out the way I did, Plus it gets rid of having 2 cables going up the wall's.

The reason we have the router away from the master is because my desktop PC is in the bedroom as are some consoles which I prefer to have hooked up wired for better online gaming performance. I'm the only one in the house that knows how to use tech so its all up in my bedroom.
      Last edited by Steph2010; 29-04-16 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks

Another check (before you move anything) is to make sure that removing the master socket faceplate isolates the internal wiring.
      Remove the ADSL Centralised Filter and Faceplate Splitter from the NTE5 Master Socket thereby exposing the test socket.
      Check that there isn't any dial tone with a telephone plugged into the extension socket. Also check that your router, plugged into the ADSL Nation filtered extension loses internet access.

If either extension socket continues to operate then your internal wiring is not being isolated and will need to be disconnected at the master socket before carrying the tests as detailed in my previous reply.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far, Just a question regarding how i've done this setup.

Have I wired it up right going from the A+B terminals on my faceplate to the ADSL extension I have or should I have gone from the standard 2+5 terminals?

I went from A+B as i'd read that is what you do for the unfiltered ADSL signal to go to the sort of ADSL Nation filtered extension socket I now have.

When I get back home i'll try some test's from the test socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK had the router plugged into the test socket with a microfilter (Tested 4 of them) & the cable that came with the router & am having the same problems with no difference in router stats compared to when using the extension so seems its definitely an outside fault. Will have to get onto my ISP to get a BT engineer called out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steph2010 View Post
      Thanks for the advice so far, Just a question regarding how i've done this setup.

Have I wired it up right going from the A+B terminals on my faceplate to the ADSL extension I have or should I have gone from the standard 2+5 terminals?

I went from A+B as i'd read that is what you do for the unfiltered ADSL signal to go to the sort of ADSL Nation filtered extension socket I now have.

When I get back home i'll try some test's from the test socket.
      As long as it's the A & B connections on the removable faceplate and not the A & B connections on the NT5 socket itself then that is fine. Connecting to the router (via the extension) using socket connectors 2 & 5 wouldn't work.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK just a bit of an update.

I called Sky last Tuesday & they spent an hour running various test's with me plugging phone/router into different sockets etc... & they decided to run a 24 hour extended line test & that i'd be called back a few days later.

As soon as they started running the test's the line cleared up & for all of last week my phone line was crystal clear & I had no internet connection drops, When Sky called me back on Friday I mentioned that the weather had been Hot & dry all last week while we were having no problems & that maybe it was a weather related problem so the person at Sky arranged a 2nd callback for today to see if the forecast rain over the weekend had any impact.

On Saturday evening we had a lot of rain & the disconnects & line noise returned a few hours after the rain began which seems to confirm that its an outside fault with water getting in somewhere causing the noise at the line.

Moving onto today & sky's 2nd callback, I brought up the details of the problem & the person I spoke to got up the details & run some more test's & said that he had detected a fault on the line & have arranged a BT open reach visit on Thursday.

However something that is concerning me is that the person I spoke to from Sky described it as an internal fault & that the BT engineer would only be checking the internal wiring. This concerns & confuses me because the problem is still there when hooked upto the test socket which eliminates all internal wiring, The BT engineer from a month ago ruled out any internal fault & as I described to the person from Sky when he ran the test that detected a fault I was also plugged into the test socket (As instructed) so there was no internal wiring connected at the time he found a fault.

The fault is still there at the test socket & it's worse with rain, All the internal wiring & cabling has been replaced & the fault still remains & everything is pointing to an issue outside.

I'm just really worried right now that there going to try & throw call out charges at us because we simply cannot afford any surprises like that right now.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

The thing with Openreach visits is you need to do the troubleshooting correctly. So if as you say you disconnected any extensions and were in the master socket and still getting the problems then you should be fine. Probably safest to leave the extension disconnected when Openreach come so they don't just blame that.

Just my opinion, but why didn't you just have the router at the master socket and run an ethernet cable to the room with the devices? It would make troubleshooting much easier.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Just my opinion, but why didn't you just have the router at the master socket and run an ethernet cable to the room with the devices? It would make troubleshooting much easier.
      There's no power sockets anywhere near the master & the closest one is quite some distance away in the living room so having extension cables laid down long term isn't really an option as there really in the way.

I also don't have any ethernet cables long enough to run them to where the PC & other devices that are wired to it are. Everything that is connected to the router is in the bedroom as thats where virtually everything that connects to the internet or PC network is (Only things that connect to it elsewhere are 2 PS3's my sisters in the bedroom next to mine & the old one downstairs that is only used for netflix) so its just more convenient to have the router up here & with the exception of this recent issue & a similar one 3-4 years ago (That was caused by a damaged outside wire) this setup has always worked fine for me.

When it comes to troubleshooting its easy enough to move the router downstairs & have it running off the master/test sockets for a few hours when/if required.

Something that is concerning me again today in terms of the engineer visit is that since Sky ran there line test yesterday the line has gone back to been perfectly clear (As it did for a few days after last weeks line test) & while my internet speeds are still not where they were before we started having these problems about 2 months ago (Its now at 11meg, It used to be around 19-20meg) the noise margin figures in the router have gone from 12dB although they are fluctuating a lot between 6-9dB there were at before so on both the extensions, the master & the test sockets there are presently zero signs of any fault.
      Before the line test yesterday there was a lot of cracking, popping & hissing on the line & the noise margin figures in the router were all over the place.

And not long after I posted that the internet connected starts playing up badly, Had 3-4 connection drops in the past hour & while there's no noise on the line the figures in the router stats have been fluctuating a lot.
      Last edited by Steph2010; 11-05-16 at 01:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast