Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Broadband problems, Advice requested.

This is a discussion on Broadband problems, Advice requested. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can you post your stats, from your normal position and from the Test socket. How to get your Sky Router ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Broadband problems, Advice requested.

Can you post your stats, from your normal position and from the Test socket.

How to get your Sky Router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Just to be sure, can you check behind the second plate of the master socket that only the incoming wires are connected to the AB terminals on the rear?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Steph2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Something I decided to do today while I was out was plug the router into the test socket & leave it for a while with the routerstats program running on an old laptop & then repeat the same with it plugged into its usual ADSL extension. The stats at the extension were more stable & it connected at a slightly faster speed than it did at the test socket.

Noise margin graph from Test socket, Connected at 16667meg:
      http://oi68.tinypic.com/301dpgx.jpg

Noise margin graph from the extension, Connected at 17359meg:
      http://oi63.tinypic.com/zy6p94.jpg

Stats from the router at test socket:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16667 kbps 1078 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5db 14.5db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 7.5db

Stats from router at extension:
      Connection Speed 17359 kbps 1188 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5db 14.7db
      Noise Margin 7.1db 7.2db

While I did have some connection drops earlier the stats, speeds & all that have actually been the best they have been for nearly 2 months today. Since I 1st began suffering connection drops about 2 months ago the connection speed has been down at 10-12meg with the upload at 700kbps with the noise margin figures fluctuating up at 12-15dB.

One last thing I'd like to point out is that both last week & yesterday afternoon when Sky ran a line test the audible noise on the line over the phone (Cracking, Hissing & popping) almost immediately stopped. Last week they ran the line test on Tuesday afternoon & the noise went away up until it rained on Saturday when the cracking sounds returned. When they ran a line test again yesterday the cracking sounds once again went away.

As I said in an earlier post when the cracking was there it was also there & was just as bad when I was plugged into the test socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quick addition, I just found some paper that I had the stats I took from just over a week ago on it & at this point we had a lot of cracking on the line.

Test socket:
      Connection Speed 12287 kbps 799 kbps
      Noise Margin 12.9db 15.0db

Extension:
      Connection Speed 12287 kbps 799 kbps
      Noise Margin 12.6db 13.5db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Given how the line is now the best its been in 2-3 months in both speed, noise ratio on the router & clarity on the line we decided to cancel the open reach appointment.

Reason been that I was told while on the phone to Sky yesterday that if the engineer comes out & can't find a fault then we would be charged 120 & we just can't risk that sort of unexpected cost with things as they are right now & given how close to perfect the line has been this afternoon/evening (Line noise stats & all that have been dead stable) I think there's a fairly good chance they will come back with nothing.

We'll just have to monitor things & see if any issue return & then follow things up if they do.

Thanks

If you are only experiencing this during inclement weather, there is a good chance you have an open joint somewhere which is allowing water to enter.

With regards being charged for call outs, Sky are obliged to advise you that if the fault is in your internal wiring you may be charged. However if you are plugged into the test socket, your internal wiring is isolated, so there is no chance of you being charged.

Have you checked that only the incoming wires are connected to the A-B terminals on the rear of the plate?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you checked that only the incoming wires are connected to the A-B terminals on the rear of the plate?
      Yes, The wire going from the junction box on the wall outside our home to the A+B connectors on the master socket is fairly new as well as we had a fault with the old cable 3-4 years ago & it was replaced by BT. Was actually a weird one as the old cable was longer that it needed to be & had been looped under the dirt to hide the excess length & where it did that the cable had split & water was getting in causing similar problems to now but much worse & they were less intermittent.

The only other wires going to it are connected to the removable faceplate, The wires for the phone extension in the living room connected to the 2+5 terminals & then the ones going to the ADSL extension in the bedroom are connected to the A+B terminals on the removable faceplate.

Here is an image of our master socket with the faceplate on:
      http://s32.postimg.org/wnkkpy0g5/Socket.jpg
      And the wiring on the faceplate:
      http://s32.postimg.org/cxkddwfyd/Faceplate.jpg

The thing I don't get is that when Sky run there line test it improves things. Both last week & this Tuesday the line went from really noisy to completely clear after the line test & for several days after last week's test there was no noise & no internet drop outs. Then we had the rain Saturday & the line got bad again & after Sky ran the line test's again on Tuesday that has again cleared the visible signs of the fault & since Tuesday the line has been clear of any noise & the internet connection has been a lot more stable (Although router's noise margin figures are slightly higher than they were before these problems began 2 months back, Currently at 7.3/7.7).

We did have some rain yesterday but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm going to keep a note over the next week or so of any faults that return & what the weather is doing at the time to see if an obvious pattern emerges.
      Last edited by Steph2010; 12-05-16 at 02:52 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just got the callback from Sky that was arranged to be done after the BT engineer visit.

I explained the reasons why we canceled the BT visit & the guy was fine & very understanding about it & I also explained about the line clearing up after they run there test's which he said he didn't understand & went off to get a 2nd opinion. During our conversation although he didn't say anything at the time i could tell they were running test's on the line as the internet connection dropped out for a prolonged period of time as it does during there test's.

He later did bring up that they had run some test's which had come back clear & eventually decided to send out one of there broadband engineer's & he said that while everything looks fine right now given how its been interment he thinks the additional test's they would be able to run from here on top of checking the router could be beneficial & that it wouldn't cost us anything so would be worthwhile doing.

No appointments available until the 23rd but I actually prefer it to be a bit of a wait as it gives some time to see what happens if it rains & if the line/connection remains as close to perfect as they are currently.

Interestingly since Sky ran the line test half hour ago our speeds have dropped from 17meg to 15meg & the noise margin figures have gone upto 9.4/8.6 & are really unstable again.
      Last edited by Steph2010; 12-05-16 at 08:31 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

For some reason the line test Sky ran earlier seems to have messed stuff up quite a bit.

Everything was fine all day, We were connected at a stable 17.5meg with noise margin figures stable in the low 7's & a perfectly clear phone line, As soon as Sky ran the line test the noise margin figures in the routerstats have been all over the place, Speeds have dropped & we have some very faint clicking on the phone line now.

This is at both the extension & the test socket when I had the router in there for a bit a few minutes ago.

Thanks

This is at both the extension & the test socket when I had the router in there for a bit a few minutes ago.
      You will have to be careful you do not change the router position too often or DLM may step in and cap your speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

An update. We had a heavy downpour on Saturday & through Sunday the cracking returned on the line & we had a massive amount of connection drops.

Sky broadband engineer came out today as scheduled, Said he ran a test via his ipad while in his van outside our house & it had detected a fault which he was 99% certain was an outside BT hardware issue, A view that he felt was backed up by the fact it gets worse after heavy rain. He also said the stats he was getting showed over the previous 24 hours we had suffered over 80 connection drops.

He had a brief look over our setup & felt that everything was wired up correctly in the sockets & that we were using good quality cables that should not be causing any issues.

He then said that he wanted to rule out a problem with the router so gave us a new Sky Hub SR102 to replace our older D-link. He plugged it into the master socket & observed noise on the line. He then phoned in & asked for a line test which was run at the test socket which also picked up a fault & he again observed noise on the phone line via the test socket & he & the lady he was on the line with decided a BT open reach engineer should be called out & arranged it for Wednesday afternoon.

He said that since it seems to be a bit of an intermittent fault thats brought about by rain & that previous line test's hadn't found anything it may be that the BT engineer will find nothing but that we won't have to pay any call out charges as Sky would pay those for us given how they can see there's a fault & are comfortable in saying that it isn't been caused by any of our equipment or cabling.

So he left & BT are coming out on Wednesday which is fine..... However this new SR102 router that he left us with seems to be affected by the issue far more than the old D-link because it's struggled to keep a connection, Since about 3pm this afternoon our internet has pretty much been unusable as its struggled to hold a connection for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. Yes we had a lot of down time with the D-link but it's never been anything as bad as its been with this SR102.

The line stats withe the SR102 seem better than the D-link though.
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16588 kbps 1097 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 dB 15.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.9dB 5.5 dB

There taken from the extension but they were virtually identical when it was plugged into the test socket earlier on.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast