Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2 Questions, one about my wifi, but one about BT increasing speeds ?

This is a discussion on 2 Questions, one about my wifi, but one about BT increasing speeds ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, first off, got my Fibre installed, the 38mbps and I assume 29 - 34mbps over wifi if great? I ...

canada16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

2 Questions, one about my wifi, but one about BT increasing speeds ?

Hey, first off, got my Fibre installed, the 38mbps and I assume 29 - 34mbps over wifi if great?

I would like to get the 38mbps I got quoted, but for the slight increase I don't think its worth buying a new router which may cost 100.00, plus most of my stuff is connected over 500 powerlines, so only wifi stuff is my laptop and tablets which speed is not important as I have a Qnap I download to.

Also seen that for an extra 10,00 a month, BT have went from 38mbps to 52mbps.

Do you think Sky will follow suit?

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: 2 Questions, one about my wifi, but one about BT increasing speeds ?

You're probably getting 38Mbps at the router (to check this, do a speedtest when wired by ethernet cable directly into the modem).

I think BT Infinity has changed from a 40/10 product to a 55/10 product, and I believe that they are in the process of upgrading customers. Don't know about an extra 10 per month for that! My understanding was that it was at no additional cost (but I might be wrong about that). Obviously this has prompted a few queries as to whether or not Sky might do likewise, but no news on that.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Thanks

I am getting the full 38 if I connect to the powerlines or the router, but seems the G 2003 tech Sky provide cannot provide much more than 34mbps looking at other forums, its only 4mbps.
      I hope sky do follow suit, but BT are giving sports and also a 100.00 mastercard voucher for the extra 10.00 its tempting as I am still within my 30 days trial, may have a think about it though, im sure 38mbpd is more than enough to stream everything right now, but think it may struggle once Netflix bring out 4k as they are claiming you may need 50mbps

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Don't know what Netflix 4K will require as a minimum d/l speed, but I have read elsewhere that BT TV's UHD TV service will require a minimum speed of around 52Mbps (I think) and that this *may* be the driver for why BT is regrading it's Infinity service from 40/10 to 55/10.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Thanks

If that is the case, then that's probably why they reduced 10.00 from sky, as it was 20.00 after 6 months, but now its 10.00 for 12 months.
      Sky wont increase in the near future as they don't have any 4K stuff that would need to be streamed as of yet anyway.

Not worried about 4k, got a 1080p OLED that I love, and will do me until 4K takes off huge, but lets hope its not another 3D fiasco.

Well my 34mb over wifi and 38 wired is more than enough to stream blu-ray ido files and anything on kodi, so not too worried for now.