Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Broadband customer, speed issues from the word go!

This is a discussion on New Sky Broadband customer, speed issues from the word go! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have just switched over to Sky Broadband Connect in the last few days, and my transfer speeds have ...

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New Sky Broadband customer, speed issues from the word go!

Hi, I have just switched over to Sky Broadband Connect in the last few days, and my transfer speeds have been VARIABLE! I'm talking between 3kB/s and 250kB/s. I seem to get "broadband" speeds for a period of up to about half an hour at a time, and then it suddenly drops to inexplicably slow. I'm not getting the problems other people have reported to do with web pages timing out, but Firefox has been sat there for a good 90 seconds (timed with FasterFox extension), saying "Waiting for [server name]...", before finally displaying the page at dial-up speed. I haven't experienced any disconnections yet.

My router said I was synchronised at 4Mbps with an attenuation at around 50dB (will post exact stats later if needed, not at home right now). I had absolutely no speed issues on Pipex 2Mb service before I switched... it constantly downloaded at... well, 2Mb! In terms of hardware, all I have done is dropped the Sky router into the same ADSL socket vacated by my previous generic router. Since then, I have also switched over to one of Sky's provided microfilters, but no difference at all.

I just wanted to know if there is anyone from York who is having the same problems as me, as this is where my exchange is. More importantly, I want to know if there is anyone from York who ISN'T having these problems!!

I don't know if it's relevant, but I put my details into the broadband checker on DSL Zone, and it said there is a compatibility issue with my line - this may be for any number of reasons, one of which being that an order for ADSL is in progress. What I will say about this is that my Sky router arrived 2 days after I ordered it, and it connected straight on to the Internet after installation. 2 days after this I got a letter telling my that my line was not due to be activated until [date in the future]. So apparently my line shouldn't even be active yet? Could this possibly have anything to do with it? Should I expect my line to stop showing "compatibility problems" after the activation date?
      Last edited by mrtom2985; 13-11-06 at 02:32 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Sky Connect is an ADSL Max service and is subject to a 10 day "training period" from first connection. During the 10 days, speeds are likely to be low and erratic.

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How bizarre! Anyway, thanks for your quick response. I will await the end of the "training period" with baited breath.

Tom

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Not bizarre - that's just how ADSL Max works.

ADSL Max is a BT product which they sell as Total Broadband (8Mb) and Sky sell as Connect (for customers where they cannot supply their own product yet).

Other Sky BB products use their own network based on ADSL2+ which has no training period.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-11-06 at 03:58 PM.