Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem Resolved – Advice for you all.

This is a discussion on Problem Resolved – Advice for you all. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This hopefully will be my final post here as on Thursday Tier 3 Called me and after about 3 minutes ...

SkyDesperado is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problem Resolved – Advice for you all.

This hopefully will be my final post here as on Thursday Tier 3 Called me and after about 3 minutes we both concluded that it was a BT issue at the exchange (Surprise!)
      Anyway, he said that he would call BT and hey presto, Friday I get home from work and I have a voicemail from BT saying that it is fixed – sure enough it was.
      It was 6 weeks and although I had to contact Tier 3 again to get the 128k Cap taken off it has been OK. The things I have learnt are…

Tier 1 is pretty much a waste of time but you have no choice, just make sure you keep your ticket number as it will rush you through to Tier 2 as long as you ensure that they are making notes on your account.

Tier 2 are good but only if you are not too clued up on this stuff, if you are in IT they won’t tell you anything you don’t already know.

Tier 3 is the only way to be sure, they can get BT to check your system within a day or so and once BT are involved it is normally back up and running.

I must have made about 50 calls over the last month or so and it is soul destroying but what I found made a difference is emailing customer support. I received a reply within the day both times I contacted them by email. And not just some automated response, A real person who was understanding and as a result Tier 3 called me the same day.

BroadbandTechnicalSupport@bskyb.com

I was polite and just explained that I was on the verge of suicide and they were really helpful!

If you have a CHAP Authentication error I would bet that it is 100% BT.

Good luck guys.

2. Advertisement
      Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by SkyDesperado View Post
      This hopefully will be my final post here as on Thursday Tier 3 Called me and after about 3 minutes we both concluded that it was a BT issue at the exchange (Surprise!)
      Shirley not, as the whole point of this forum is we all help each other with the knowledge we have and have gained, as illustrated by your excellent post above.

Don't go away - stay and help others with your knowledge and experience as they stumble along the road you have trodden before.
      John in High Wycombe

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Great news.

Thanks for the note on e-mailling I'll give that a go.

Anon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If the fault was with BT, the issue was probably on the permanent wiring between the MDF and the LLU HDF, means you'd be connected to the wrong port on the splitter, and therefore the wrong associated port on the DSLAM.

SkyDesperado is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would totally agree - if I new what most of that meant! Sounds right to me though.

I was always from word go saying it was a problem at the exchange.

I think the bottom line is - If you ha a CHAP Authentication Failure Error 200 and they have already replaced your router - the fault is at the BT end and you need to get past Teir 1 and 2 as quickly as possible.

Like I say emailing them was a last resort and I was so surprised at the response I got on both occasions - Same Day and a call from Tier 3 that night.

I have also decided to stay on and see if anyone has issues I can help with. My connection keeps going up and down so it is not entirely working!
      Last edited by Wheelie; 14-11-06 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @Use

bardo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by SkyDesperado View Post
      I have also decided to stay on and see if anyone has issues I can help with. My connection keeps going up and down so it is not entirely working!
      You may have to put up with this for a couple of weeks while the system works out what is best for your line. I thought mine would never settle down but it eventually did and now I get a good constant service at about 8-9 Mbps, apart from some evenings when it drops a bit.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      That normally only applies to Connect and not Max, though.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser