Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Switched to SKY Max Great!!!! 3 Weeks Later Lost Connection :(

This is a discussion on Switched to SKY Max Great!!!! 3 Weeks Later Lost Connection :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently changed from Pipex to Sky Broadband for the reason being you get 16mb for 10 a month ...

ldjones48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Switched to SKY Max Great!!!! 3 Weeks Later Lost Connection :(

I have recently changed from Pipex to Sky Broadband for the reason being you get 16mb for 10 a month whcih I thought yer great stuff. I registered my interest via the Sky Broadband Site, contacted Pipex for my MAC code and then waited for 2 weeks while Sky sorted their end out. Finaly I got my registration code from Sky and was able to place my order with Sky!! The order process was nice and smooth andtwo days later I had my broadband router at my house and a letter explaining my line will be activated at the exchange on the 23/10/06, sure enough I arrived home from work at about 4:10pm on the 23/10/06 and I plugged my router into the line I layed the previous night, I logged into the router and seen that it had synched with the exchange at 15.3 MB/s which I was pleased about. The internet worked fine for 3 weeks no problems atall except for the odd connection reset which I wernt to bothered about as they informed me the line would be stabling itself over the next 10 days. Then the other night I turned the router off for the night and to bed and th enext morning tried to connection to the net again and I got nothing!! No internet light was on, so I decided to log into the router and check the status of the ADSL connection, I was faced with a status of "Connection" then a "Negotiating" which kepty alternating between each other! The internet light on the front dont even flash to show it is trying to find a connection. I even tried it on the master socket and still no joy! I ring customer services and they say its a fault on the line but I belive that it is the router but they insist its the line. I knew it was to good to be true nothing ever goes right lol. Has anyone else had this issue or know what else it could be? Also I would liek to say that their first line of technical support is some what a shambles, being a network engineer myself it was getting quite tedious.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Lee

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Lee

Its quite possible that it is a fault in the exchange as you say the (i) light does nothing which can suggest a card fault and not signal being sent down the line, one way to know is plug in another router if you have one and see what that does as its quite possible the Netgear is broken as they do tend to over heat and as a result the first thing that breaks is the (i) connection.

How did you have the router setup was it standing or laying down?

One more thing you shouldn't really turn them off either they really hate getting hot and cold all the time and that can also break them.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for the reply.

I have tried putting a linksys router in and have had no DSL sync either so im guessing it is a faulty line then. Its just weird how in the space of 8 hours in the middle of the night the line goes down :S

Do you reckon this is going to take time to resolve with the escalating of jobs and what not to tier 3 or could I give BT a ring and get them to resolve it!! the annoying thing is I can see the exchange from my house, I could run in and check the DSLAM and resolve it myself lol

Lee

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep sounds like an exchange issue and I would guess SkyBB have escalated it to BT and since BT tend to take there sweet time with most things I guess all you can do is watch the little (i) and pray it comes on sooner rather than later.

Or if you see the Openreach guy at the exchange go have a chat with him
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok cheers for that at least i know where i stand now more than i can say for their tier one support technicains. Just have to wait now then write them a long letter of complaint and see what I can get out of them free.

Lee

Jay23Sx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'd also speak to Pipex to check they haven't done anything silly.

Pipex are currently moving customers to LLU and they moved me even though I'd migrated to Sky. This messed up my broadband. Unfortunately BT will let them do it even though I was already on an LLU and it was Easynet's - the landline order tracker on bt.com will help you work out if Pipex have placed any orders against your line since you migrated to Sky.

Jez
      Jez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidenhead (THM)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      How did you manage to sort that one out?!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well i woke up this morning and my internet light is now on and is synched with the exchange and i can download at 15.5mb/s so aint to bad but fingers crossed for it to stay working!!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well thats is very good news
      Ray

click here

Jay23Sx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Convinced Pipex (which wasn't easy) that it was their fault - they finally gave in and admitted it - terribly sorry, have free broadband on us until you are up and running again.

Unfortunately I ended up having to cancel with Sky, which then removed Pipex's tags (BT not checking again) and I then re-ordered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast