Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky SR102 - Netgear AC1900 setup

This is a discussion on Sky SR102 - Netgear AC1900 setup within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all! Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't seem to locate it. So, I have recently ...

Felics is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky SR102 - Netgear AC1900 setup

Hello all!

Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't seem to locate it.

So, I have recently bought a Linksys AC1900 Router as I hear the the Sky Router/Modem SR102 is quite restrictive in its setup. Hence I've bought a third party router to overcome this.

I've tried to set my new router with my current setup but it seems quite fiddly. I'm not as technically gifted as some (most) of the users on here so its quite difficult to get around.

I understand I've got to setup the both the current Sky modem and the Linksys Router to work together disabling the wireless feature on the Sky device.

Can anyone point me to a walk-through guide? I've tried to use (Using the DLink DIR613.) as a sort of template guide but it assumes some knowledge I don't have unfortunately.

Any help would be great!

------

Update - I think I've managed to make some progress with Scubbies guide but realise that the I cannot access the Linksys router after changing it to 192.169.1.250? Ive checked the CMD prompt with this connected and it doesnt show a default gateway?
      Last edited by Felics; 20-03-16 at 04:03 PM.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + pfSense 2.4b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky SR102 - Netgear AC1900 setup

There are a few methods to achieve what I suspect you are trying to do.

If you are just interested in improving your wifi, then it may be best to just use the Lynksys as a a wireless access point, leaving the 102 to do all the other functions such as DHCP and routing.

This is pretty simple to achieve and there are a whole load of methods of achieving it, I'll chose what I think is the easiest. Firstly, look at the DHCP range that is set in the SR102, navigate to this page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lan DHCP.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	6122

As you can see the range available is from 2 to 254, we don't want all of those, we need to allocate some static addresses ourselves so lets limit the range. How much you limit it is up to you, but I suggest we take out the top end so change the 254 to 200; if you have more than 199 clients on your network that may be an issue, but I suspect you don't.

Reboot the SR102.

Now, connect your computer DIRECTLY to the LAN port of the Lynksys and log into it. Navigate to the LAN page and set the IP address to 192.168.0.250, remember after this is set that 192.168.0.250 will be the address you will use to connect to the Lynksys. TURN OFF THE LAN DHCP on the Lynksys, the SR102 will be doing that job. Set the Wireless SSID to whatever you like, but make it different to the SSID of the SR102. Make sure that the subnet range matches that of the SR102, I am assuming the SR102 is on 192.168.0.1, if it's on 192.168.1.1 then change the address accordingly, i.e. if the SR102 is on 192.168.1.1. then the Lynksys should be set to 192.168.1.250.

Reboot the Lynksys.

Connect one of the LAN ports on the Lynksys to one of the LAN ports on the SR102, re-connect your PC as nornal.

Now, with one of your wireless devices, i.e. Phone, Laptop or Tablet, you should be able see both the Lynksys and SR102 wifi, we'll turn off the SR102 wifi in a moment. Connect to the Lynksys wifi and it should be giving you internet access and all working ok.

Now, reconnect to the SR102, navigate to the wifi page and turn off the wifi, sorry I cannot find an image to show that so you'll need to search for it,

This is but one method, it works as I use a similar process myself, using a cheapo 5G router as a WAP.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky SR102 - Netgear AC1900 setup

Quote Originally Posted by Felics View Post
      Hello all!

Update - I think I've managed to make some progress with Scubbies guide but realise that the I cannot access the Linksys router after changing it to 192.169.1.250? Ive checked the CMD prompt with this connected and it doesnt show a default gateway?
      If you are following Scubbies guide, the address of the Linksys should be in the range of the Sky Hub, ie 192.168.0.250. Typing this address in your browser should take you to the Linksys settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.