Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Regular/fibre broadband question

This is a discussion on Regular/fibre broadband question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm currently receiving regular broadband from sky and have been for many years. I was always under the impression that ...

Flumey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Regular/fibre broadband question

I'm currently receiving regular broadband from sky and have been for many years. I was always under the impression that we couldn't switch to any fibre service because when fibre broadband was being installed in our area they went right past our (then brand new) estate. Anyway, I recently went onto the bt openreach website which allows you to put in your postcode and address to find out if you have access to "superfast fibre broadband". I did so and it told me "great news you can order a fibre service. Please get in touch with your service provider". I'm pretty sure they are just talking about whether our local exchange is enabled rather than our specific house. I'm 99% certain fibre isn't going directly to our front door. I suppose my question is would it be worth getting an upgrade from the regular broadband to fibre? Our we going to see a significant increase in speed even if it doesn't go directly to the door? I'm currently receiving about 7-8 mbps. Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Regular/fibre broadband question

Quote Originally Posted by Flumey View Post
      I'm currently receiving regular broadband from sky and have been for many years. I was always under the impression that we couldn't switch to any fibre service because when fibre broadband was being installed in our area they went right past our (then brand new) estate. Anyway, I recently went onto the bt openreach website which allows you to put in your postcode and address to find out if you have access to "superfast fibre broadband". I did so and it told me "great news you can order a fibre service. Please get in touch with your service provider". I'm pretty sure they are just talking about whether our local exchange is enabled rather than our specific house. I'm 99% certain fibre isn't going directly to our front door. I suppose my question is would it be worth getting an upgrade from the regular broadband to fibre? Our we going to see a significant increase in speed even if it doesn't go directly to the door? I'm currently receiving about 7-8 mbps. Thanks for any thoughts!
      Use the BT availability checker, but choose address checker, put in your house number and postcode and submit.
      This will show you the speed you would expect from Fibre.
      https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

The top one will be your fibre and look on the right top for the number of your cabinet.

scobo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cowdenbeath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What it probably means is that there's a fibre connection from the exchange to the green cabinet in your area but from the cabinet to your house is still the old copper line.
      That's what we have and our speed went from 4meg to 40meg when we upgraded to fibre.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Definitely go through the DSL availability checker from BT. I think you will be surprised.
      Current Sync 79999/19999