Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upload connection speed has suddenly dropped (and is this noise margin okay)?

This is a discussion on Upload connection speed has suddenly dropped (and is this noise margin okay)? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone Previously (a few days ago) I could get upload speeds of 900-950kbps, and there were no problems with ...

LooieENG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upload connection speed has suddenly dropped (and is this noise margin okay)?

Hi everyone

Previously (a few days ago) I could get upload speeds of 900-950kbps, and there were no problems with our broadband, but in the last day or two it wouldn't go over 600.

I just thought to check the router (since I didn't think it would have changed) and I noticed the Upstream Connection Speed is now 798 kbps

Any reason why it would have dropped? It was stable before. Also, I think I should be able to get a higher speed anyway. Here are the stats

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17852 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 14.4 dB
      Noise Margin 3.1 dB 15.15 dB

The Line Attenuation is pretty good, I think. For a while we've had actual speeds (downloads and uploads over wifi) of about 14000/1000

Although I don't understand what noise margin is, so I'm not sure if that's good.

What should I tell Sky? Is DLM still at thing? Also, what upload should I be able to get with those stats?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Upload connection speed has suddenly dropped (and is this noise margin okay)?

Looking at the stats and the Upload noise margin in particular, you should be able to get the full 1300kbps. Have you tried rebooting? Have you checked there are no issues on your end, ie, something plugged in without a filter? As in all cases like this, plug into the Test socket and check your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Upload connection speed has suddenly dropped (and is this noise margin okay)?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Looking at the stats and the Upload noise margin in particular, you should be able to get the full 1300kbps. Have you tried rebooting? Have you checked there are no issues on your end, ie, something plugged in without a filter? As in all cases like this, plug into the Test socket and check your stats from there.
      Hi Isitme,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did reboot the router just before posting this, and now you mention it, the downstairs phone has been funny lately (sometimes not ringing, etc.)

I thought it was the phone itself, I never through to check the microfilter. I will replace it

If I plug into the master socket, won't the router have the same connection speed as it does now? I thought it was configured by Sky on their end. Do I need to ring up and ask for the speeds to be changed?

Thanks

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It will have the same speed but a large difference in noise margin between the test socket and normal socket would indicate a problem with your equipment or internal wiring.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      It will have the same speed but a large difference in noise margin between the test socket and normal socket would indicate a problem with your equipment or internal wiring.
      Ah, I see.

Well, I've replaced the microfilter I suspect was faulty, and now I'm on the phone to Sky.

Just waiting for the guy to tell me to reboot the rooter for the 900th time and then I'll test it.

His explanation so far has been "well, most customers get 700kbps so 800kbps should be OK"

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      OK, I tested the master socket and got the same stats, except a higher download connection (almost 19000)

The guy said he spoke to a line manager who said 800kbps is all we can get, but after arguing he said he will speak to someone in CST and they will check the line and then he will call me back.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LooieENG View Post
      OK, I tested the master socket and got the same stats, except a higher download connection (almost 19000)

The guy said he spoke to a line manager who said 800kbps is all we can get, but after arguing he said he will speak to someone in CST and they will check the line and then he will call me back.
      Well, I don't know how long it will take, or if they even bothered to do anything about it, but the speeds (and attenuation/noise margin) are still the same.

But we're switching to Virgin Media anyway so problem solved.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, I didn't realise you had to give 31 days cancellation notice, so I spoke to someone else before cancelling, since we will have it for another month, and within 5 minutes she had sorted it.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15611 kbps 1200 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 14.4 dB
      Noise Margin 7.2 dB 7.7 dB

The download speed is slower now of course, but the upload is much better.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you are keeping the same telephone number with VM you will lose Sky Broadband when the telephone service is transferred.