Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Suddenly its very slow?

This is a discussion on Suddenly its very slow? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have had sky Broadband for about a month, service was poor to start with, discconnects and poor download speeds. It ...

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Suddenly its very slow?

Have had sky Broadband for about a month, service was poor to start with, discconnects and poor download speeds. It then picked up and i was getting about 5 - 6 meg results on speed tests.

I formatted windows XP last night, reinstalled and ran TCPOptimizer as i previously did and the speed is now painfully slow.

I tried downloading adobe flash player and it only downloaded at 1.1Kbps, which is SHOCKING!!

I rang sky they had no explanation, so my old man cancelled the service although he is now trying to cancel the canellation, my stats are pretty solid, I am using the SNR URL tweak thats why my sunc is lower than the 8128 it should be on connect.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7904 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 20.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 22.0 db

these specs. say to me there shouldn't be a problem, Tier 3 have been playing with my account apparantly in the last few weeks so I have asked sky if my connection is capped at all and they say it isn't so how can the 200K speed test results be justified?

surely the contention on the line isnt that bad?!? can anyone give me any adive as where to go from here? I am thinking back to BT but would like to resolve it with sky if possible.

2. Advertisement
      Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is anyone there?

jazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cleveleys
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
      Have had sky Broadband for about a month, service was poor to start with, discconnects and poor download speeds. It then picked up and i was getting about 5 - 6 meg results on speed tests.

I formatted windows XP last night, reinstalled and ran TCPOptimizer as i previously did and the speed is now painfully slow.

I tried downloading adobe flash player and it only downloaded at 1.1Kbps, which is SHOCKING!!

I rang sky they had no explanation, so my old man cancelled the service although he is now trying to cancel the canellation, my stats are pretty solid, I am using the SNR URL tweak thats why my sunc is lower than the 8128 it should be on connect.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7904 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 20.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 22.0 db

these specs. say to me there shouldn't be a problem, Tier 3 have been playing with my account apparantly in the last few weeks so I have asked sky if my connection is capped at all and they say it isn't so how can the 200K speed test results be justified?

surely the contention on the line isnt that bad?!? can anyone give me any adive as where to go from here? I am thinking back to BT but would like to resolve it with sky if possible.
      Do a speed test with bt then get sky to cap your line to bts results worked
      for me.I had all the problems you are having but since sky dropped my connection by 0.5 meg have no lockups or slow downs even at peak times.

bwfcboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bolton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      the noise margin is definately too low. i am having the same problem. it should be double figures at least to maintain the connection.
      i THINK that slowing the connection speed helps (which is a tier 3 job really)
      assuming that your internal wiring is all OK.

Have you tried connecting to the master socket to check figures? This is inside the main phone point.

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Have you installed chipset and LAN drivers after reformat or are you using Windoze drivers?
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.