Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection issue

This is a discussion on Connection issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I have had sky broadband for about 8-9 years & this last year has been a nightmare ! My ...

corpse88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bicester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Red face Connection issue

Hello

I have had sky broadband for about 8-9 years & this last year has been a nightmare !

My connection used to be really good until my old router died (R.I.P) Sky kindly sent me a new one which died after about 2 years & sent me another new one...Again after about a year it started randomly disconnecting, which got worse & worse to the point that it would only stay connected for about 2 mins before cutting off & reconnecting after about 5 mins.

After a bit of a moan to sky (and threatening to join virgin haha) i spoke to a nice guy who was not just reading off a script & tried helping me fix the problem. He ran quite a few tests over 3 days, he did line tests which came back ok & ran a test with the router plugged into the master socket and decided it might be the router (again...) and/or the face plate that was building up errors & resetting the connection so he sent me a SR102 and got me to swap over all cables and filters so it was all new and everything improved, i even got faster speeds ! so he got me to plug the face plate back in and it quickly built up errors and cut the connection again so we took it back off and although there was some errors, it seemed to work ok again.....for a month...then started cutting off again & slowing down for 2 days, then back to normal.

This has been going on for the last 4 months, almost every 4 weeks & he either don't know or is not telling me what could be causing the problems.

My socket is in the living room, my router is plugged directly into the master socket, no phone plugged in, all new router, wires and filter, wired into my PC...so in my simple mind, if the router ect is new and the line test to the house is ok, could the problem lie with the master socket and face plate ? the face plate seemed to be a problem to begin with but maybe the master socket is causing the slower errors ? is it worth replacing it and putting a adsl face plate on it ? the only other thing i noticed is i think the firmware seems to be out of date, its running 2.1r.3761.R

Nothing else has changed my end since i had the rock solid first router.

You will have to excuse if i rambled on a bit, i tried talking it over with the wife but she got confused after about 30 secs & gave up

Quick recap : new router SR102, plugged directly into the master socket (via new sky filter) wired to PC, no phone plugged in, phone line replaced about 6 years ago (thanks to some kids cutting the line outside the house)

Distance from exchange : direct - 0.30 mi By road - 0.7 km
      Line Attenuation : 26.0 dB
      Noise Margin : 7.1 dB
      If that helps at all...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection issue

You don't mention if there are any other wires connected to the back of the faceplate? Like wires running off to an extension socket etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

is it worth replacing it and putting a adsl face plate on it ? the only other thing i noticed is i think the firmware seems to be out of date, its running 2.1r.3761.R
      Its certainly worth fitting a DSL filter plate, very easily done if you have an NTE5 line box.

Regards the firmware, it could update at any time. Although the new firmware does nothing for stability, it only makes provision for IPv6 and additional DDNS addresses. It is unlikely the older firmware is causing problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

corpse88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bicester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses

Nope, only the router is plugged in, no extension or anything else plugged or wired in.
      Behind the master socket is 4 wires coming in from outside, 2 connected to the master socket and 2 are loose

I was thinking of fitting a DSL plate a while ago but never got round to it, i'm going to order one now.

I did not think the firmware would matter much but i thought i would mention it anyway

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may be worth while fitting a Mk3 vDSL plate. These have a better RF filter and will help if you are suffering from REIN.

→ GENUINE BT Openreach&#8482 MK3 NTE5 VDSL Faceplate

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.