Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No broadband since 21st of December due to BT Openreach being bloody useless. Sky's hands tied

This is a discussion on No broadband since 21st of December due to BT Openreach being bloody useless. Sky's hands tied within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So, we decided that rather than playing silly money to BT for just internet when we could be getting Sky ...

benjymous is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No broadband since 21st of December due to BT Openreach being bloody useless. Sky's hands tied

So, we decided that rather than playing silly money to BT for just internet when we could be getting Sky for about the same cost.

On the 21st of Dec a Sky engineer came, plugged in a HD box into the existing cabling, and gave me the newbie talk. He noted that our broadband wasn't set to switch over till the 22nd, so he paired the box to our BT router, and we were happily downloading On Demand boxsets all evening.

The following morning, the lights all went red on the BT router, so I unplugged it and plugged in the Sky one instead. An hour or so later, the happy face lit up, and we had broadband again. Quite a bit slower than we were expecting, but I assumed the initial line quality tests were on going.

About two hours later the signal dropped, and didn't come back. I tried all the self help steps, plugging and unplugging everything, and tried three different filters and two different phone cords, but nothing made a difference.

I called their helpline and was just told to do what I'd already tried ('probably a faulty filter, we can't see any faults in the system outside your property') and was told it'd probably come back to life in a couple of hours.

By 10pm it still wasn't working, so I rang again, and spent well over an hour with a nice guy in Bulgaria who tried all the fault finding steps available, and eventually booked a BT Openreach engineer to come out to us on Christmas eve.

On Christmas eve, nobody turned up (Openreach blamed some sort of system fault for wiping the appointment from their system) and a second appointment was rebooked a week later (new year's eve)

A day before that appointment, I got a follow up call from Sky informing me that they'd managed to lose that appointment too, so the next possible one was the 5th of January (today)

So today rolls around. At 1pm, the start of the window, I rang Sky to check that the appointment was still active in Openreach's system, and was assured it was, and that someone would definitely be here today.

6.05pm it's still a no show, so I call back Sky again. They spend about 20 minutes trying to get through to Openreach only to tell me that yes, they cancelled the appointment again.

Now I'll have to take another half day off work on Thursday to try all over again.

Anybody got any suggestions on anything I can do to push things along, and what sort of compensation I'll be able to claim. The guys at Sky keep saying they'll be able to sort out compensation once we're connected again, but are somewhat cagy about what that may be, and, tbh, a free month of Sky really doesn't cover the loss of four days holiday, and a Christmas period with nonfunctional broadband.

I know it's not Sky's fault, and BT hold all the cards, so I've done my best to stay friendly to their helpline staff - I just wish they could give me an Openreach number to yell at!
      Last edited by benjymous; 06-01-16 at 04:33 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: No broadband since 21st of December due to BT Openreach being bloody useless. Sky's hands t

There is not much more you can do, unfortunately you are at the mercy of BTO, who I can almost bet you, will blame Sky. As far as compensation is concerned I don't think Sky will take into consideration the fact that you have been deprived during the festive season. It may be worth pointing that out to them when you negotiate the compensation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: No broadband since 21st of December due to BT Openreach being bloody useless. Sky's hands t

Whilst I would be inclined to raise the issue of compensation now, Sky won't normally settle any potential figure until the issue is resolved.

Unfortunately you hve to raise any complaints about BTO's poor service through Sky. They are the ones who will complain to BTO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms