Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Slow Speeds on Fibre

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds on Fibre within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening All, We recently moved house and when we did I upgraded the broadband to Sky Fibre. I was sent ...

mykweb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broxburn - West Lothian
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP Link W9980 with custom FW
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow Speeds on Fibre

Evening All,

We recently moved house and when we did I upgraded the broadband to Sky Fibre.

I was sent the standard Black router but this quickly became an issue. We were guaranteed a speed of 36MB by the guy at Sky. However once this was installed and fitted I never hit over 27MB. I called Sky back up and they said there was a fault on the line and it would be booked out. Apparently this was done (never heard anything back)but I am still getting speeds of 25-27. I have tried the sky router in different sockets around the house and even went directly into the master socket.

I recently decided to move all my networking kit into the loft as I wanted to cat 6 cable the house up. And its easier to run the cables from the 4 corners of the house down.I originally patched the upstairs telephone line into the loft to provide connectivity for the router. About 2 weeks later SKY upgraded the firmware on the router and blanked all my settings. My pc's that were statically assigned suddenly would not connect and they also reset my SSID and login to the router.

I had a friend who was getting rid of a brand new TP Link W9980. I installed this in place of the sky router and configured the settings. At the same time I ran a new Telephone extension from the master socket to the loft. This eliminates the 10 year old house wires. I have the following stats from the router.

Upstream Downstream
      Current Rate (Kbps) 9995 27400
      Max Rate (Kbps) 13335 43490
      SNR Margin (dB) 6.7 12.9
      Line Attenuation (dB) 26.7 21.3
      Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Am I correct in thinking I should be able to hit 36 or even 38mb on the router instead of the max downstream of 27.

If so how do I go about getting sky to fix it. I understand i will need to stick the old sky router back in place before I call them.

Mike

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Slow Speeds on Fibre

Welcome to the forum mykweb.

Just reading through your post there are a couple of things which will help. Swapping the routers doesn't normally make an immediate difference with FTTC. At least not a significant large difference.

It's also important to know that frequently rebooting, disconnecting or resetting the connected router (with the built-in Modem) can and will mess up your connection speed. With this in mind I actually try to recommend to people to set up any personal settings before their Sky Fibre connection goes live. Of course I have no means of contacting everyone so that's kind of an impossible task to even think of getting 100% coverage.

So what else...

There have been a few firmware changes recently. The version ending in 1086 has been linked to a few disconnection issues. If you have 1087 or later then great, but most people are being given an earlier version for the moment until a new update is available.

You've stated that you should be getting 36mb. Could I ask where this information came from? The SFU product is actually sold as 'up to 36mb'. 10% of Sky's SFU customer base get this speed but sadly not everyone. S just in case could I ask you to check what speed you were promised as a minimum please. You should find this on any emails from Sky and on the My Sky page.

There is another place that I'd like you to look at as well This will provide us with a clearer estimate of what you should expect. Could I ask you to take a look at the BTW link below, use the 'Address checker' option and post the results. Please edit out your postcode and the cabinet number as they might identify you and we don't need to do that.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes...cs_adslchecker

The next thing that would help is to know how you are connecting your router to the telephone line.

For example what cable are you using? What filter/s are you using (i.e. filters supplied by Sky or filtered faceplate)?

If you are using a filtered faceplate, could you confirm which model please.

Also do you have a grey box on the outside of your home? If you do could you see if it is an XNTE5 box.

Slow Speeds on Fibre-3361d1340129395-bt-update-fttc-exchange-list-outside-box-1-.jpg
      XNTE5

These boxes tend to be installed with new properties but BTO should have stopped the practise. They are known to be a problem with broadband speeds.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Scubbie thanks for the reply.

I was told I would get 36mb by the guy I spoke with at SKY.

I ran that check against my postcode and house number.. telephone number would not work.

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
      High Low High Low
      FTTC Range A (Clean) 60 39.8 16.3 9.9 -- Available
      FTTC Range B (Impacted) 50.6 30 15.8 7.2 -- Available
      WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
      WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
      ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
      WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Other Offerings
      Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
      Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I don't have a gray box on the outside of the house. I have standard BT master socket 2 parts. The main cable comes from the outside of the house it to the back of the socket. On the top half the white and blue wires are connected to ins A & b.

I then have a cat 6 cable running internally in the wall cavity up to the lost. This is the same cat 6 cable used on the network devices in my house. It correctly terminated on the back of the master socket. This then runs up to the lost (about 15 meters) to a rj11 then connected to the sky microfilter then into the router.

I have the sky microfilters on the single telephone downstairs. (these are wireless telephones)

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

here is the email wording from Sky

Sky Fibre Unlimited offers maximum download speeds of up to 38Mb and truly unlimited usage.

We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 40.0 and 40.0 Mb

You should expect a Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed of 36.1 Mb

Thanks

Ok, that's good.

The BTW checker won't work as your line is with Sky and BTW doesn't have access to Sky's telephone database. That's why we all need to use the address checker instead.

Two things then that I believe will help you.

First could I ask you to look into the purchase of a VDSL Filtered Faceplate. Dave at Run-IT-Direct does contribute to these forums and has a good reputation. Normally goods arrive the next day.

→ GENUINE BT Openreach&#8482 MK3 NTE5 VDSL Faceplate

run-IT-direct VTE-2015 vDSL/ADSL Filtered Faceplate

This will help by filtering out signal and should last longer than the filters supplied by Sky. You've specifically stated that you only have the one telephone socket. The filter would of had more positive impact had you any hard wired extensions.

Next is what I believe is the cause of your problems. The Cat 6 cable.

What I think will help here is to place a 1Gbit network switch in the loft, or a suitable Wireless Extender which can be hard wired to the Sky Hub SR102.

Use the supplied DSL cable cable that cable with the Sky Hub and see if this improves things. You'll need to wait at least 2 weeks for BTO's DLM software to pick up the improvements.

If this does work, but you are still short of the potential maximum speed of 39.8mb then you may wish to consider a short Cat 5e cable with RJ11 plugs. Cat 6 is wasted.

Another option would be to purchase a BTO Modem. Connect that with a short lead to the telephone socket and run a long Ethernet cable to the loft where the SR102 can be located.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thanks for the reply again

i actually have one of those second faceplates but i could not get the router to make a connection when installed. If I filter out the phone downstairs do I need a filter on the end beside the router?

i actually double checked and it was cat 5 cable I used for the run to the loft. I must have picked that box up from work instead of the the cat 6

the results I was getting above were the same with the sky router and the new to link w9980. Both running on the same setup. I actually see a speed increase by running the new cable from the master socket to the router instead of taking a feed from the internal house wiring.

Would contacting sky and asking them to reset my Dlm be any benefit.

I dont particularly want to have any network kit sitting in the living room hence the reason for running the cables to the loft.

Mike

Thanks

I suspect that there is a problem with the cable that you have made up. It would be nice to rule this out, which is why I'm suggesting using the supplied cable first. If it works, then you can fault find the cable you made later.

It might be that your cable is running near some electrical interference or there is something else wrong. For now the best thing would be to try something that should work out the box.

Sky won't reset the DLM software within the first 10 days. In truth it is not possible for them to currently reset the DLM process anyway. That has to be completed by a BTO Engineer on site who will then call his call centre.

The DLM software constantly monitors the line but can take a good 2 weeks to recover when there has been an issue.

As for the faceplates, is it a VDSL or ADSL faceplate you have? There is a difference. VDSL is the better choice. You don't need those microfilters from Sky if you have a filtered faceplate as the router plugs into the VDSL or Modem port.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

With a noise margin of 12db+ there is a good chance DLM will put your speed back up, provided the line has been repaired. I would agree that your router should be connected to the master socket through a VDSL faceplate filter. If your line is reasonably clear of REIN then use a Mk2 filter if not use a Mk3 which has better REIN filtering. You could then use the Cat5e to connect a gigabit switch in the loft.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So I have just installed a MK3 VDSL faceplate from BT and connected again.

Here are my new router results.

Upstream Downstream
      Current Rate (Kbps) 9995 27400
      Max Rate (Kbps) 14904 51567
      SNR Margin (dB) 9.7 15.1
      Line Attenuation (dB) 24.7 20.8
      Errors (Pkts) 0 0
      Going to call Sky tomorrow and see what they say

Thanks

I'd give them a friendly call this evening.

If you are on Pro then someone will be there until 11pm to answer your call. Someone else will be available fro 7am too.

03448 245 100

or you can get them on the chat:

https://mysky.sky.com/mysky/settings/broadband-pro
      (you'll need to log into your account to access the Pro chat)

Shonk is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

By the sounds of it this is self inflicted with a combination
      of long internal wiring / Low Grade Filter / Rebooting the modem

MY advise is

Get an Openreach Modem Plug that straight into the master socket with the MK3 Filter
      No Extension cables

Crimp an RJ45 on the Cat5 Cable you have run into the loft
      Connecting one end into the Lan port of the Openreach Modem
      and the other end into the Wanoe port of your SR102 / Whatever in the Loft

Never ever reboot the Openreach modem within a few weeks the line will recover
      and you may well get 60+ attainable rate

You are ofc free to not do this but this is how i would do it if i wanted my gear in the loft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast