Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem with ping (I think)

This is a discussion on Problem with ping (I think) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening all, I moved out to the sticks a few months back, so was expecting slow speeds. The last few ...

Thumb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shefford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problem with ping (I think)

Evening all,
      I moved out to the sticks a few months back, so was expecting slow speeds. The last few days I have been trying out a xbox online, and the connection is horrible. Constant lag etc. I have tried port forwarding, and I am using a wired connection. I read online about running tracert to bbc, and the ping times are 53ms. Is that a problem?
      I contacted sky customer service, and although the guy was trying to be helpfull, he sounded like he had no idea what I was talking about. Is there anything that can be done to improve things?
      Router stats are
      Downstream Upstream
      SNR Margin
      :
      6.2 11.1 db
      Line Attenuation
      :
      46.7 29.3 db
      Data Rate
      :
      4096 798 kbps
      Max Rate
      :
      5308 945 kbps
      CRC
      :
      304 0
      Thanks for any help

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problem with ping (I think)

That ping is very poor, mine to BBC averages 17ms. Have you tried your Sky router as a comparison? Its unlikely but possible the router you are using is not completely compatible with the Sky network.

Your upload is also poor, most now get 1Mb+. Have you checked your set up by plugging into the Test socket behind the Master socket faceplate? Do this using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky. How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That ping is very poor, mine to BBC averages 17ms. Have you tried your Sky router as a comparison? Its unlikely but possible the router you are using is not completely compatible with the Sky network.

Your upload is also poor, most now get 1Mb+. Have you checked your set up by plugging into the Test socket behind the Master socket faceplate? Do this using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky. How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      Thanks for the reply
      I don't have my sky router anymore. Got rid of it about 5 yrs ago. I have tried on the test socket, behind the master faceplate. I don't have any other ADSL filters, at the moment, so will have to get some. Im using a TP link W8961ND router, and have done for years. I've never noticed a problem with it before.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Call sky and ask to be put on the gaming profile, they used to do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      Call sky and ask to be put on the gaming profile, they used to do that.
      Already tried that. The guy I spoke to sounded like he didn't know what I was talking about. He put me on hold, and then came back and said they don't do that.
      Shame really.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

The gaming profile is no longer an option. It is still there on the system to be selected but since improvements to DLM were made and the ability for DLM to drop the SNR to 3dB even if it is selected it makes no difference to your profile.

If your line is of good quality then DLM will drop the max delay to 8 m/s which is the minimum it can be manually set to anyway. If it is set to this manually though and the line has any sign of instability then there is a good chance it will set the max delay to either 16 m/s or 32 m/s to try and stabilise the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1979 View Post
      The gaming profile is no longer an option. It is still there on the system to be selected but since improvements to DLM were made and the ability for DLM to drop the SNR to 3dB even if it is selected it makes no difference to your profile.

If your line is of good quality then DLM will drop the max delay to 8 m/s which is the minimum it can be manually set to anyway. If it is set to this manually though and the line has any sign of instability then there is a good chance it will set the max delay to either 16 m/s or 32 m/s to try and stabilise the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Ok. So not much point in calling them again. Thank you for your help.