Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By uclown2002

Replacing SR102

This is a discussion on Replacing SR102 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had some issues with my connection dropping after switching to Sky 8 weeks ago. I live in a rural ...

uclown2002 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Birstwith
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Replacing Sr102 - Support

I've had some issues with my connection dropping after switching to Sky 8 weeks ago. I live in a rural area about 5 km from exchange. Three Openreach engineers have found no fault with the line and have attributed the issue with not being able to handle a 6db or even 9db SNR, given the length of the line and the area.

5 days ago I was put on a 12db profile (at the request of openreach) and it is fairly stable, although I've still had 2-3 drop outs since, typically during the evening, where the profile tends to drop below 10db at these busy times. Sky seemed a little reluctant to do that and took some convincing, so I'm not sure whether there is a problem or not.

In the meantime, I'm planning on trying a Billion 8800NL modem/router to see if it is more tolerant than the Sky Hub and perhaps hold on without dropping connection. I'm hoping if it works to possibly adjust the SNR downwards to improve speed slightly.

Can I expect the same level of support from Sky when using my own router?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing SR102-2015-11-21_routerstats.jpg  
      Last edited by uclown2002; 21-11-15 at 12:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Replacing SR102

And the stats Replacing SR102-2015-11-21_routerstats.jpg

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have a filtered master socket? If not fitting one is likely to be more help than another router. Have you tried plugging into the test socket behind the master socket faceplate? If not please try this.

With your attenuation doubt you are 5K from the exchange, more like 4K. You should have a sync speed of 4.5/5Mb. What speed did you have with your previous ISP? Have Sky suggested replacing the router?

Regards your last point, although Sky do not now object to you using your own router, they will only support the Sky issued routers.
      uclown2002 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you have a filtered master socket? If not fitting one is likely to be more help than another router. Have you tried plugging into the test socket behind the master socket faceplate? If not please try this.

With your attenuation doubt you are 5K from the exchange, more like 4K. You should have a sync speed of 4.5/5Mb. What speed did you have with your previous ISP? Have Sky suggested replacing the router?

Regards your last point, although Sky do not now object to you using your own router, they will only support the Sky issued routers.
      Previous ISP was talktalk and speeds were similar 3~3.5 Mbps, although I do recall a few stability issues.

Sky changed router - same result

Test socket - same results and stats. Router is next to master socket and there is no extentions.

2nd openreach engineer installed prefiltered master socket and I still had stability issues. 3rd engineer found it caused more errors during testing than without it. He fitted another pre-filtered but still found less errors with it removed, so he put old socket on and used microfilter.

Next door neighbour shows attenuation of 60db which seems odd considering we live on terrace. He is also with sky and he's unstable. He checked router stats last night and showed sync of 2500 kbps and SNR 9.4db

Another neighbour 40 yards away is showing download speeds of 2400 kbps but not had opportunity to check router stats.

In view of that my speed doesn't seem so bad lol

I understand I won't get support for my router but it shouldn't inhibit any tests they might run or affect any line profiling?

Update:- Another drop last night, making it 3 over a period of 5 days which is much better than before. It re-synced at 3500 kbps. All 3 drops were between 7:30 and 8:30 at night.
      Last edited by uclown2002; 21-11-15 at 05:25 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Is it possible that you have overhead telephone cables?

Are any of them close to trees that might have damaged them during the summer?

I am wondering if the wind is blowing and that is enough to cause any break in the cable to show up briefly.

One thing to do would be to install RouterStats Lite on a computer and run it for an extended period and allow it to collect the connection stats. Also ask you neighbours to do the same.

Once you've run it for several days, compare the graphs. See if you are all experiencing issues at the same time.
      uclown2002 likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Yes we do have overhead cables so that is a possibility. Openreach engineer couldn't scale the nearest pole due to elf n safety as it was rotten at the base. He did say he'd need a lift of some sort but didn't go through with it. He said he didn't feel there was a problem. He said the line was 'good'. In fact all 3 engineers have said the same. The errors he found were reduced when he raised the SNR profile to 12db and removed pre-filtered socket.

The routerstats suggestion is a good one but it's not practical to ask neighbours to run it. Does routerstatslight record disconnections? I see the log recording noise margin and speed.

I had another drop last night and it resynced at 2Mbps and 20db SNR; a quick reset though this morning returned profile and speed to normal. I've been on night shifts so not been able to observe behaviour during the drops.

I'll install Billion 8800NL when it arrives to rule out any issues with the sky router. Maybe new router will access more info than I can with sky hub.

If issues continue then I'll ask for another engineer visit to check status of connections at the pole.

Thanks for all the help.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Ok, then you could have a dodgy connection on the pole. Add that to the list of things which they really should have done.

Raising the SNR/Noise Margin is just a way to compensate for a poor line. It doesn't fix the cause of the problem.

RouterStats lite can be programmed to look at your router's connection stats at regular intervals. Those figures are then recorded and can be looked at later, along with time stamps. It will pick up subtle changes in the Noise Margin and should also confirm when there are disconnections.

If you could have a friendly chat with your neighbours, you might find that they have a similar issue that they've just accepted. See if they are interested in getting an improved service from their provider too. If you collectively gather the information then approach your respective ISPs then hopefully someone in BTO will actually do the job that they should have done in the first place.
      uclown2002 likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

All great advice thank you.

For a number of reasons I won't go into I'm on my own with this issue.

I'll run routerstats for a week or so before contacting sky again with a view to another engineer's visit.
      Scubbie likes this.