Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet connection

This is a discussion on Internet connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Dear All: I have recently signed up for SKY Broadband, router has arrived, have been told the line is activated ...

kavassery is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidenhead
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Internet connection

Dear All:

I have recently signed up for SKY Broadband, router has arrived, have been told the line is activated but I am not able to get on to the net. I have a wireless enabled PC and the PC can recognise the box when I checked through 192.168.0.1. What else can I do? By the way, I have connected by router to my working bedroom phone extension upstairs? Does this matter? How do I get on to the internet? Am i missing something obvious? My friend who is with Orange tells me that you need a username and password to connect the router to the internet. Is this correct? Kindly advise

Regards
      Hari

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      First thing to check is the front panel of the router. Look for the internet connection light - it's 4th down (or from the left) and looks like a candle on a plate. If this is lit green then you're activated OK.

It's not ideal to first check your connection wirelessly. Does your PC have an ethernet card so you can connect with a cable? If not what error messages are you getting? Have you checked that you've entered the wireless SSID and network key correctly?

Connecting to an extension is OK but not ideal. It is quite probable that extra noise generated by this will depress your connection speed. Once you're up and running have a look at the cabling and faceplate forum.

The password and username are already in the router so you don't need to worry about that.
      Last edited by Saturday; 10-11-06 at 04:30 PM.

kavassery is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidenhead
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Internet connection

Many thanks. I am a bit apprehensive about my decision to go to Sky after going through all the hassles faced by other customers of Sky.

ronsil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161980
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      remember its probably the hassles which are mostly aired here. If you do develop a problem this is the place to come but most people find no major difficulties. Look at the poll on 'would you still go with Sky if you knew before joining what you know now'