Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

CCCam

This is a discussion on CCCam within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is anyone else using a CCCam on Sky Broadband? Let me point out, I pay for the full Sky TV ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

CCCam

Is anyone else using a CCCam on Sky Broadband?

Let me point out, I pay for the full Sky TV package which includes the movie and sports channel (excl BT Sport). As well as my Sky dish, I have a motorised satellite dish and until about a year ago, I used to enjoy watcing a handful of FTA national French/Dutch channels which have since became Scrambled.

As it's almost impossible to buy an official card for these channels here in the UK, for the past month I've subscribed to a CCCam service which unscrambles them perfectly. I have very little interest in the channels on Astra 28.2 (In fact its not even programmed into my receiver).

Does anyone know if Sky have/do terminate accounts who use a CCCam service? As far as I'm aware, there's no streaming involved - packets of data are simply pinged to the box every few minutes or so.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: CCCam

It appears that Sky have been adding a few new methods to improve their security in recent months. It is highly likely that this is why you are getting a problem now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It appears that Sky have been adding a few new methods to improve their security in recent months. It is highly likely that this is why you are getting a problem now.
      Thanks for the reply Scubbie, much appreciated.

Sorry I may have mis-worded my post. I haven't been having any problems with the CCCam Service I pay for, it unscrambles the french channels I'm after just fine. It's unfortunate though, if I could subscribe to the french channels officially here in the UK and be sent a viewing card then I wouldn't need to go with this alternative solution.

I guess I just wanted to know whether anyone had known of any cases where Sky contacted users who subscribed to such services. I Imagine its not too hard at all for them to monitor the ports that are being used and work out what its being used for. Or is this something, like downloading movies/music where they would chase the uploaders/providers instead of those on the receiving end?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I wasn't aware that CCCam worked with Videoguard due to the requirement for cards to be paired with individual boxes but assuming that it did work it would be relatively easy for Sky to trace CCCam servers and at the very least get them closed down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      I wasn't aware that CCCam worked with Videoguard due to the requirement for cards to be paired with individual boxes but assuming that it did work it would be relatively easy for Sky to trace CCCam servers and at the very least get them closed down.
      I'm guessing that would likely be the providers rather than the end user?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      I'm guessing that would likely be the providers rather than the end user?
      Agreed. Taking down the provider (server) will always be the easiest and most rewarding remedy. It's only where this strategy is unsuccessful that users (clients) become the target. Even where the server is offshore Sky can disable their card and take legal action to block payments.

While we at skyuser are an easy going crowd this thread could potentially infringe the rules of our forum.
      Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
      There are other forums that discuss card sharing and related activity. I suggest you consult one of these if you want to pursue this subject further.

Thanks

Many Thanks guys, Sorry I didn't mean to infringe any rules.