Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Broadband and wifi constant failure

This is a discussion on Broadband and wifi constant failure within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, My wif and broadband where fine for over 7 years then last week all that changed. I noticed ...

the_big_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Broadband and wifi constant failure

Hi all,

My wif and broadband where fine for over 7 years then last week all that changed.
      I noticed my wifi devices where being disconnected, heating thermostat controller, iphone etc.
      Also, when I was trying to load some web pages, I would get the routers set up page.
      So I would type "" but I would get and a message saying router could not detect broadband connection.
      Attached devices would only show wired devices, all the wifi ones where off. 30 seconds later, everything would auto connect and fine for a minute then same again.
      I tried changeing to every wifi channel, 1 -13 but still had the same issue. This was the white SKY HUB.
      So I purchased a new black SKY HUB.
      This does exactly the same as the white one. This time I get the router page saying "We need to fix your connection, click here to resolve" I click it and it says "Connection sucksessfull, click here to go to" this happens in seconds. Again I tried every wifi channel and all are the same.
      Any ideas ???

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Broadband and wifi constant failure

I think you are suffering from a problem that is becoming all to common. More and more people are jumping on the wifi bandwagon with more devices using it. Unfortunately the sky hubs are far from the best and can be overcome with more powerful routers, causing the wireless to drop.

For a start, download a wifi analyser and scan your area at different times. Inssider2, link below, is very good if you have Windows but there are other options available for Mac and Android. When you get it running check for the quietest channel in your area. Do this at different times of the day as all routers are not on line all the time. Set your channel to the one with least use. It may not cure it completely but it may help. The Auto channel selection on the hubs works well in some areas, but in others, particularly busy areas, it constantly changes the channel causing short period drop outs.

Probably your best solution would be to invest in a more powerful dual channel router. The 5ghz band is still fairly quiet in some areas and with the new AC standard you will get a better range and a faster connection. There are plenty to choose from, from 60 upwards. Sky do not now object to you using your own router on ADSL.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.