Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Replacing Sky's D-Link router with RT-N66U + modem

This is a discussion on Replacing Sky's D-Link router with RT-N66U + modem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Currently using an old Sky D-Link router but I want to change it out for something better. I have ...

chickeneyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replacing Sky's D-Link router with RT-N66U + modem

Hi,

Currently using an old Sky D-Link router but I want to change it out for something better. I have bought an Asus RT-N66U, and a TP-Link TD-8817 to act as a modem essentially.

A few questions, if you may, to get me on the right track:

1. I used the tool to extract my username and password from the D-Link router. We were at one point sent an SR-102 from Sky, but the speed and reliability seemed much worse when we initially set it up, so we switched back to the old D-Link. I have no idea where the SR-102 is now, but presumably the username/password I could extract from that would be the same as the ones I'm getting from the D-Link anyway?

2. In guides for the setup of an RT-N66U & TD-8817 combo, they generally seem to suggest setting up the TP-Link in Bridge mode. Does this apply to Sky ADSL, or do I need to set it up for PPoA?

3. Will the hardware I have accept the Sky login details with normal firmware, or do I need something like DD-WRT for this 'Option 61' thing I've seen mentioned? Or does that only apply to Fibre?

4. Does anyone have any other advice on setup they could share? The procedures listed in these two comments for instance are very different from each other, so I'm not totally sure what I should be doing to be honest:
      Asus RT-N66u / TP Link TD-8817 Advice? - Modems/Routers

Amazon.co.uk

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Replacing Sky's D-Link router with RT-N66U + modem

It looks like you have followed Amazon's 'bought together' advice. You would have been better to buy the DSL-N66U which is the same router with a built in modem. If it is not too late I would return them for an exchange. Although there is a slight advantage in using a separate modem with Fibre, there is little to be gained on ADSL. To try to answer your questions.

1. The passwords would be different as they are unique to the router, not the user.

2. The TD-8817 should be set in 'modem only' mode if this is available. It would connect using PPPoA.

3. You do not need any special firmware for ADSL.

4. The difficulty you face is that the TD-8817 is not a standalone modem but a modem router. This means that unless you can select a 'modem only' mode it is difficult to avoid double NAT. If you can disable the DHCP, turn off NAT translation and the firewall, that would give you as near as possible modem only mode. Can you check if you can do that?

Your posting was deleayed as it had to go into the moderation queue as it contained a link. New posters are not permitted this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

chickeneyes (07-09-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Many thanks for the reply. I did indeed follow the 'bought together' advice, although I did do a bit of Googling about the combo beforehand to ensure it would work ok. Evidently not enough though...

I can now get Fibre in my area so I may upgrade soon.

There was no 'modem only' mode on the TD-8817 as far as I could see; the options during setup were 'Dynamic IP, 'Static IP', 'PPPoE/PPPoA', and 'Bridge Mode'.

The Amazon post I linked to says "[On the TD-8817] keep DHCP switched-on (so that it gives an IP address to the WAN port on the N66U e.g. 10.5.0.2)", and "Keep the TD NAT switched on".

If you're saying I actually should do the opposite then I'm not sure what he's on about, but regardless - there must be an option to turn those settings off somewhere on the TD-8817, so I can do that.

Mind you, it seems I might be screwed anyway! Would the username/password I could obtain from that SR102 be different to the ones I pulled from the older D-Link? If so, and the details I need are only on that SR102, then unless I can find it I guess I'm stuck.

If that's the case then I did see another thread for a guy who wanted to use his SR102 in conjunction with his RT-N66U (which you replied to). Presumably I could follow those same steps with the D-Link?

Thanks

The username and passwords are different, as I said these apply to the router not the actual user. That does not matter, either password should work, so don't worry about that. Sky, unlike some other ISPs, use the router details to login and do not give users unique passwords.

As you say, if you wish you can use the Dlink as the modem. It may be your easiest option. Just follow the tutorial.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been a bit busy.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

chickeneyes (07-09-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for the reply.

I tried initially setting the TD-8817 on its own to see if I could get it to work. The setup wizard has the options 'Dynamic IP, 'Static IP', 'PPPoE/PPPoA', and 'Bridge Mode'. I tried it on 'PPPoE/PPPoA' (specifically PPPoA LLC I think) and input my Sky details, and I could then get internet access ok. On the TD-8817 I disabled DHCP, TD-NAT, and the firewall. I also changed the IP of the TD-8817 to 192.168.1.2, as I think its default 192.168.1.1 is shared by the Asus.

I then tried connecting it to the WAN port on the RT-N66U, moved the computer's ethernet cable to the Asus, and tried to get the two devices working together, but I didn't have any joy there. I'm not sure if I have the TD-8817 set up correctly for this though -- the majority of info about using it in conjunction with another router says to set it up in 'Bridge Mode'. Do you know if that is the way to go for Sky ADSL?

Thanks

I then tried connecting it to the WAN port on the RT-N66U, moved the computer's ethernet cable to the Asus, and tried to get the two devices working together, but I didn't have any joy there. I'm not sure if I have the TD-8817 set up correctly for this though -- the majority of info about using it in conjunction with another router says to set it up in 'Bridge Mode'. Do you know if that is the way to go for Sky ADSL?
      Using the WAN port follow the instructions here- Using the DLink DIR613.

Basically you must give the Asus a fixed address in the same range as the TD. 192.168.1.2 would do if you leave the TD at 192.168.1.1. Place this in the DMZ of the TD. You must also give the Asus a different address range to avoid conflicts. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 would be fine. Remember the firewall in the Asus must be active.
      To run through it quickly -
      Enable the DHCP server on the Asus and make its range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254.
      Log into the TD and make its default address 192.168.1.1. Place the Asus address in the DMZ of the TD.
      Disable the TD's DHCP server and plug an ethernet cable into one of its ports and plug the other end into the WAN port of the Asus.
      Plug an ethernet cable into the Asus and your PC, connect the DSL cable to the TD, plug it in and your good to go. Connect to the Internet.
      You can now set up the Asus wireless and check your connection.

TomD

Useful Utilites

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

chickeneyes (07-09-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again, that's very helpful. Just to clarify - is that with the TD-8817 set in 'PPPoE/PPPoA' mode, or in Bridge Mode?

Either way, am I right in saying the VPI is 0 and the VCI is 38? And should I set the connection type as LLC or VC Mux?

Thanks

To connect to Sky it will have to be PPPoA. Sky use VC-MUX but LLC should work just as well.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Finally got round to giving this a go today but I'm not getting too far. I've logged into the Asus and changed its IP to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. But then when I go into the DHCP settings and try to adjust the range, it says "192.168.0.2 is not a valid IP address!" I can't seem to change it from the default 192.168.1.1/192.168.1.254.

Do I need to do anything with all the PVCs in the TD-8817?

Thanks

I don't quite understand what is happening but as your modem supports Bridging mode, maybe you should try that. It should give much the same result as modem only. There is a tutorial here - ADSL Modem / router full bridge mode tutorial

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast