Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102 with an other router Help..

This is a discussion on SR102 with an other router Help.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys. I want a better router so i can do in home streaming. I have sky unlimited and have ...

Affy786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SR102 with an other router Help..

Hi guys.

I want a better router so i can do in home streaming. I have sky unlimited and have the SR102 skyhub and would another router with better wifi and giga ports

I have two routers in mind
      tp link archer c8 and the asus rt n66u
      Now the tricky bit. The sr102 is in my fathers room connected to a microfilter in the socket..
      Now i would like to run a 15m RJ45 ethernet cable to the 2nd router's giga port in my man cave. But will the sr102 be a bottleneck since it doesnt have giga port?

Which router will be better..? I want the 2router to do all the heavylifting.
      How would i go about doing this.?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: SR102 with an other router Help..

There are several ways you can do this, in your case I think connecting to the WAN port of the second router would be best. Use these instructions as a guide. Using the DLink DIR613. This would allow you to set up a second network, by-passing the Hub's firewall. You could try running the wireless on both routers, using different channels.

Both are good routers, but as it has wireless AC the C8 is probably the best.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply... Yea i was leaning towards the c8 aswell..
      I dont really need the sky102 wifi the c8 can handle that.
      I need the c8 for streaming steam games a Lan network.. But wouldnt the sky102 be a bottleneck since it doesnt have giga ports?

Thanks

No, it would only be acting as a modem. The gigabit switch in your router would be completely separate.

I was thinking the wireless on the Hub could be used by your father, or anyone else who did not have access to your own network. You would have a different SSID and password on your second router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Mmm... Thats makes sense.. Good shout i will try it that way. Let me see if i can get it to work. I will post the results... Thanks for your help.. I appreciate it.. Hey are you in bannockburn? I am in torwood near plean just down the road from b/b

Thanks

I am not really in Bannockburn, although the burn runs through my garden. I am in a village about 500m from the Bruce Memorial.

TomD

Useful Utilites