Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky Connection Help!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Connection Help!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Up until now I have only had dial-up so decided to give Sky Broadband a try. Recieved all the stuff ...

Noddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky Connection Help!!!

Up until now I have only had dial-up so decided to give Sky Broadband a try. Recieved all the stuff and letters and today was D day, activation day!!

I eagerly set up the equipment and used the CD given but alas I hit a problem. When the disc got to the point of checking the connection I got the message -:

"Limited or no Connectivity. You might be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurs because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Have phoned Sky twice who first time told me that there was no ethernet installed in my computer. I checked and I have. The second person told me that because I have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark then it is a PC problem and nothing to do with Sky. Being a complete novice this wasn't much help to me.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to sort this problem.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Have you tried hitting,

REPAIR on the Local Area Connection?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Thanks for your reply. I have tried repair a few times. I have also tried switching the PC and router comletely off for a few minutes and tring again. I made sure that there was no anti virus running or firewalls.

Have also spoke on the phone to a friend who had some technical knowledge and he checked the settings on my PC against his and he couldn't see why I was having a problem. His theory was that the problem was either my network card, ethernet cable or the router but didn't know how to find out which.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Obviously that means you might not beable to access the modem config page?

Try 192.168.0.1 in the address bar? I shouldnt work but - give it a try!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again,

Tried 192.168.0.1 in the address bar but just got error message "internet Explorer could not open the search page"

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      @noddy

You don't need the CD - unless you want a modified IE and would like to install McAfee.

Are you actually connected? Look at the front of your router. You'll see about half way along a symbol that looks like a candle sitting on a plate (not the one that looks like a lollipop). Is this green?

If it's green then you should be connected. Orange and there's a problem. Not lit means you're not connected yet.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

All the green lights that should be lit on the router are. They do flicker (not orange)sometimes, is that normal?

jameseb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishan SWLNI
      Broadband ISP: Connect - but soon Max (4/1/06)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Check your ip settings - limited or no connectivity can sometimes mean the pc isnt getting a proper ip address from the router! (Get a private ip address instead) You could try setting one manually in network connections select the network card and right mouse click and click on properties then add the following into the internet properties with the following info ip address 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.0.1

reboot then try it! it might work

ps: they do flicker sometimes when transmitting and receiving data i.e loggin in etc
      Last edited by jameseb; 07-11-06 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add extra info
      Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т. (Moral: Working as a team produces better results!)

имейте большое рождество и С Новым годом (have a great christmas and a happy new year )

Dont ya just love russian proverbs!

J-ames

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I changed the IP settings as you said and didn't get the Limited or no connectivity message. Rebooted Pc.
      Tried to connect to 192.168.0.1 through internet explorer. A box appeared entitled "connect to 192.168.0.1"
      Netgear DG834GT
      User name
      Password.

I enter my details but get no further than this. Just keeps flicking back to put in my password again.

nsp24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Starbeck
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
      Hi again,

Tried 192.168.0.1 in the address bar but just got error message "internet Explorer could not open the search page"
      What I often do with computers that will not connect via an ethernet card is remove it and reboot the PC, it will then find it again and re-install and will search and find the internet connection.

goto start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager.

go down the list of devices and find network adapters and double click it.

this will bring up a list of your network adapters , select the one you are trying to connect wilth
      and right click and select uninstall, then reboot your pc. Make sure the ethernet cable is connected and the router is turned on.

When it has rebooted click internet explorer and see if it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast