Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky Connection Help!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Connection Help!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When you access the Router the username and password to use are Admin and sky and not the details Sky ...

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      When you access the Router the username and password to use are Admin and sky and not the details Sky sent you, those details are for you to access the Sky Portal.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
      I changed the IP settings as you said and didn't get the Limited or no connectivity message. Rebooted Pc.
      Tried to connect to 192.168.0.1 through internet explorer. A box appeared entitled "connect to 192.168.0.1"
      Netgear DG834GT
      User name
      Password.

I enter my details but get no further than this. Just keeps flicking back to put in my password again.
      The details you need to enter are:

Username: admin
      Password: sky

You may have used the username/password Sky sent you thinking that what you should use when that message comes up. An easy mistake to make if that is what you did.

Also when you get access to the router I recommend you change the password from sky to something else, use the Change Password link on the left hand menu.

Noddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your help so far.

Yes I used the wrong user name and password when I tried to log in earlier. So using the IP address 192.168.0.1 have now managed to get in with the correct log in details and have changed the password.

What do I need to do now?

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Sounds to me like your PC was set to use a static IP.

Where you changed yout PCs IP address there are check boxes to obtain it automatically. If Obtain IP automatically and Obtain DNS automatically were not checked before you edited the IP address, I'd try checking them and OKing everything.

If you like using a static address set the IP address to 192.168.0.2, the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, set the Default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and the first DNS server to 192.168.0.1

That should get you surfing.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK,
      If I tick Obtain Ip Automatically and Obtain DNS Automatically then I get the Limited or no connectivity message. The IP address it gave me was 169.254.0.0 subnet 255.255.0.0 (if that's any help)

If I use the Ip address 198.162.0.2 and the rest of the details I can get to the router details but can't surf the web. It just tells me that I am off line and would I like to go on line. If I say yes to go on line it wants to use dial up. If I change the settings to "never make a dial up connection" then I just get "this page cannot be displayed"

Hope this makes sense to someone

Thanks
      Try removing the Local Area Network Connection in Device Manager, however, before you do check what kind of LAN it is and makesure you have the appropraite drivers.

The LAN is listed under Network Adapters, right click on it and hit properties and then the Driver Tab and see whose driver it is using. Once you have the correct driver restart the computer and let the system redetect the card, if it asks for drivers point it in the right direction or if the driver have a setup utility then use that instead.

Also you say when using the Static Address you can't connect to the Internet, my cousin had this on day 1 and the issue was resolved overnight, I know when you hook the router up the first authentication to Sky can take sometime. Reaccess the router and see and got to Connection status, let us know what it says and also look at your connection stats and report back.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have managed to get the details from the router as requested.

Connection Status
      Connection Time 00:10:11
      Connecting to server - Connected
      Negotiation - Success
      Authenticiation - Success
      Getting IP Addresses - 90.194.153.236
      Getting Network Mask - 255.255.255.255

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 7 7 0 0 0 00:10:25
      LAN 10M/100M 443 454 0 219 107 00:11:06
      WLAN 11M/54M 81 0 0 29 0 00:10:56

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1696 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.7 db 12.0 db

Haven't dealt with the driver issue yet. Please bear with me as I am quite a novice. You said before removing the LAN Connection to check what kind of LAN it is and make sure I have the appropraite drivers. How do I know if I have the appropraite drivers, do you mean on disc or within the PC? Sorry if it's a silly question.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      hate to say it mate but those stats are bad, the noise level is below the min to be stable but the attenuation at 62 is worse, anything above 60 and its lucky its connecting, looks as though you may need capped at 1mb.

your not using any extensions or are aware of cutting through any outside phone cables while doing the garden that bt may have repaired.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have been fiddling around all morning getting nowhere. I cannot access router on the static IP address either now. Although with the static I don't get the Limited or no connection message.

Tried setting the pc up using a different phone socket, this also made no difference. I don't know of any damaged phone cables although have only lived here a year.

Don't know if it's connected or not but I have also been having some problems connecting to dial up (BT) in the last week or so. I usually takes a couple of attempts before it connects. There service status had shown problems over the last week so I put my problems down to that. I tried phoning BT on 150 and had the line checked which was OK apparantly.

How do I get it capped at 1mb? Do you believe that it is my phone line that is the problem? My other half just wants to phone Sky and get a new router but I don't want to do that if the problems lies elsewhere.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to add. I have managed to get in again with the static ip. Heres the stats but they are not much different to last night.

System Up Time 01:53:16
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5 10 0 0 0 01:10:03
      LAN 10M/100M 752 911 0 51 18 01:53:14
      WLAN 11M/54M 522 0 0 15 0 01:53:04

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 10.0 db

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast