Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.

This is a discussion on Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I once had a fault that took over 10 engineer visits & went on for over a year. In the ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.

I once had a fault that took over 10 engineer visits & went on for over a year. In the end it was fixed by the an engineer. Not someone who has been with OR for 6 weeks & claims to be an "engineer". This was with BT mind so much easier (believe it or not!) to get to the bottom of it.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.

10 engineers & over a year?

That's terrible.
      Surely there's a point long before that where they should effectively give up & just switch to a spare line?

They could then mark the bad one as 'needing attention' & leave one of their gadgets plugged in to detect the fault.
      If they really wanted to.

kuplion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Gymno and RunITDirect, thank you for the support. I'm waiting until Friday (the 5 working days) and then I'll be chasing this up further with SKY. I can't fault SKY on the manner, but I certainly wish their system was a bit more forgiving and customer friendly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      10 engineers & over a year?

That's terrible.
      Surely there's a point long before that where they should effectively give up & just switch to a spare line?

They could then mark the bad one as 'needing attention' & leave one of their gadgets plugged in to detect the fault.
      If they really wanted to.
      They DID switch the exchange pair, TWICE! The issue was with ADSL2 equipment. The most annoying part of it was BT management were fully aware of the issue! I forget the exact cause but the engineer has his JDSU tester actually on the tie pair in the exchange (so no line what so ever!) and it was still showing errors (would drop when phone rang/within minutes of a call).

Thanks

Having read through your issues and resolutions, I'm incredibly wary that I could end up enduring another one of these ongoing problems. Would you recommend I contact SKY before Friday and see what else can be done?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think the problem with Sky is you get them going between you & Openreach. As a BT customer they claim the companies are separate but the reality is it is much easier to get to the bottom of faults like this. If it's still dropping waiting until Friday is time wasted....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

kuplion (19-08-15)

Thanks

What would you recommend? I'm almost certain if I call them they'll just tell me to wait until Friday.

Thanks

I've just noticed that when I lose connection, my noise margin is falling into the negative values. Can this be indicative of REIN or anything else that could be affecting the line?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.-bb-noise-margin-2.jpg   Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.-bb-noise-margin-3.jpg   Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.-bb-noise-margin.jpg  

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I don't think that the phenomena is specific to any one cause or type of fault.

Many faults tend to be caused by high resistance somewhere along the line, such as a loose joint or corrosion etc.
      In these cases customers often report the same sharp dip in noise margin immediately prior to a disconnection, however identifying the source of that noise is a different matter.
      That's what the openreach gadgets are for.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Probably not helpful but when calling Sky about broadband issues you tend to get better help when you speak to (in-house) Scottish advisors. If you know a Dunfermline accent then this means you are probably speaking to Broadband Centre of Excellence where fixing things is much easier. If you get a northern Ireland accent then you should test their knowledge if you're not sure of their competence. This is a generalisation (of course) as I've spoken to plenty of idiots at First Source (Sky's technical business partner for broadband) but I've also spoken to plenty of experienced people who know what they are doing in these centres.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (29-08-15)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast