Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.

This is a discussion on Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This particular training has been since the weekend (whenever it was that the life and shift was performed, so around ...

kuplion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.

This particular training has been since the weekend (whenever it was that the life and shift was performed, so around 4 days). My line stats are identical to the picture in the original post, just the line is syncing at 16000Kbps and throughput is capping at about 1.6MB/s instead of the 2.5MB/s I was getting.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Continuous drop-outs, 3 engineers and a whole load of excuses from SKY. Please help.

So you've had a resync at 2am every night since the weekend?
      That must be DLM doing it's thing.

What sync speed did it start training up from?
      Presumably DLM stepped in & lowered sync from the near 24Mbps while the fault was present.

Thanks

So, the issues are back. The connection is continuously dropping and cycling through disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. SKY have told me I need to start all of the trouble shooting again, right back to testing with the test socket..

Thanks

I've just got off the phone with SKY, having had 50 disconnections since 1am this morning (currently 4:25pm). They told me that they consider 8 disconnections a day to be acceptable but still insisted I would "have to pay an early termination fee to leave their service as the connection issue is only intermittent, and as such between the disconnections it's usable".

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Unfortunately this kind of situation does seem to crop up more often than it really should.
      Believe me i know from experience.

Essentially you are being let down by openreach who's job it is to fix the fault on sky's behalf & they're continually failing to do this.

Personally i don't believe for one minute that it's sky's policy to class 50 disconnections per day as acceptable, based on the fact that the connection is usable the rest of the time.
      In fact i think the only t/c's relevant to cancelling without penalty in this scenario would be that you'd given sky adequate opportunity to rectify the issue.

Not that switching provider would help of course, because the fault would still be present & you'd be starting from square one with openreach again.

As with all isp's (apart from virgin with their own cable network) sky's hands are somewhat tied here, in that they have very little influence over openreach.
      Where i'd say that they have let you down a little is that the job appears to have been signed off prior to confirmation that the fault was fixed.

My advice is to keep on at sky.
      Explain how it's getting you down or making you angry but stay polite.

Thanks

I'm not so certain that it's Openreach at fault here. I've sat there with the engineers as they've run tests that come back as perfect. They've swapped out my master socket, fitted the vDSL faceplate for me, and stayed in constant contact whilst at the exchange so that I can be aware of the testing from that end too. From what I can tell, they've done everything that they possibly could do. SKY on the other hard seem to want to start the process again nearly every time I call up, regardless of the status of the issues.

Every line test I've had up until now has passed, be that through SKY or Openreach, but as soon as I asked to be put through to cancellations, suddenly my line is demonstrating a fault that SKY can clearly see on their system and the only resolution is wait another 5 working days for Openreach to correct the issue before SKY will go any further with the matter.. Couple that with previously being told I'm just using it too much, and that SKY were now unable to confirm to me that a lift and shift has taken place now or that intermittent to SKY suddenly means "functional some of the time"; call me a sceptic but that smacks of just giving me the run-around.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

From what I can tell, they've done everything that they possibly could do. SKY on the other hard seem to want to start the process again nearly every time I call up, regardless of the status of the issues.
      Unless they are testing when a drop out occurs, the line could show as fault free. The reason you have to start again each time is the BTO will report to Sky that everything is OK, Sky then strike it off their list. You call back and Sky see a report from BTO that everything is fine, so must assume that it is a new fault. Sky should have a system, like some other ISPs, which does not sign off a fault until you the customer report that you are satisfied. Unfortunately when BTO reprt a fault as fixed, that's enough for Sky.

Sky have an ongoing complaint against BTO for among other things, the time it takes to get a fault properly fixed. This is one of the reasons Sky and some other ISPs want BTO entirely divorced from BT, who always appear to get the best service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless they are testing when a drop out occurs, the line could show as fault free. The reason you have to start again each time is the BTO will report to Sky that everything is OK, Sky then strike it off their list. You call back and Sky see a report from BTO that everything is fine, so must assume that it is a new fault. Sky should have a system, like some other ISPs, which does not sign off a fault until you the customer report that you are satisfied. Unfortunately when BTO reprt a fault as fixed, that's enough for Sky.

Sky have an ongoing complaint against BTO for among other things, the time it takes to get a fault properly fixed. This is one of the reasons Sky and some other ISPs want BTO entirely divorced from BT, who always appear to get the best service.
      Thank you for the insight there, I hadn't looked at it like that. With that in mind, would you recommend staying with SKY at as long as the issue takes to resolve? Or do other ISP have more weight over BTO to correct any potential issues?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have no doubt that moving to BT or one of their resellers would get your problem fixed. Unfortunately this is playing into the hands of BTO who like nothing better than running down any ISP who is not BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by kuplion View Post
      I'm not so certain that it's Openreach at fault here. I've sat there with the engineers as they've run tests that come back as perfect. They've swapped out my master socket, fitted the vDSL faceplate for me, and stayed in constant contact whilst at the exchange so that I can be aware of the testing from that end too. From what I can tell, they've done everything that they possibly could do.
      I disagree.
      On each occasion, openreach have merely done what they were prepared to do & nothing more.

My personal opinion is that for a 4TH openreach engineer to simply walk away from you in defeat is pathetic.
      Not that you can blame the individual though of course.
      It's fat cats in suits that are hurting you here.

Obviously intermittent faults of any kind are a nightmare to diagnose, but OR do claim to use the latest line fault detection technology.
      Therefore considering that they are well aware of the fault's sporadic nature, that it's been going on for over two months now & that they've already sent 3 engineers out...
      Really should be doing something different / more.

Technically they could probably fix in minutes if the wanted to.
      My similar experience

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast