Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless constantly dropping on Sky Hub. DNS Issue?

This is a discussion on Wireless constantly dropping on Sky Hub. DNS Issue? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, For a month now, I have had an issue with Sky Broadband. Wireless was constantly dropping, on very ...

HighFlyerPL185 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless constantly dropping on Sky Hub. DNS Issue?

Hi there,

For a month now, I have had an issue with Sky Broadband. Wireless was constantly dropping, on very random occassions. Sometimes, I'd go without a connection after multiple restarts/resets for a day or two. Other times, I tried to upload a movie to Facebook and the connection would just drop. Reconnecting to network brought it back up. The other times, Windows told me there is a DNS issue, so I flushed the cache, registered, and even cleared the Winsock Catalog.

Enough was enough, I contacted Sky; I had the old D-Link router for a long time; they said I have over 20,000 errors on my connection, so they sent an engineer and he gave me a Sky Hub with a new microfilter. It was ok for a few weeks, until one night the problem returned. This time it was during the night, when the internet light lit up as amber. Restarts wouldn't help, so I went to sleep, ignoring the problem. In the morning, it was fine. But for the past week, same old again, as it was before the router. I tried everything... from setting a custom Google DNS (OpenDNS too), to updating wireless card drivers.

But once it drops (usually when downloading or uploading), it isn't coming back until you reset the router about 5-6 times. It happens while doing basic things, such as browsing internet (mainly Facebook for some reason), or using Peer-to-peer software. There's no interference, no networks on my channel (changed it too so many times).

Here are my readouts from the router:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7006 kbps 1117 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 dB 31.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.2 dB 6.6 dB

I tried stuff like NetLimiter but the connection only crawls to a slow 0.23kbps down and 0.11kbps up, from latest SpeedTest reading.

I'd appreciate your help on this.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless constantly dropping on Sky Hub. DNS Issue?

I'm still having issues with this. I can't even upload 2MB of data, because the connection just stalls, and you have to reconnect to the network. It's very frustrating.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you are running into the insufficient upload bandwidth problem. This means you are uploading so much it strangles your connection. notice you are a P2P user and this is one of the biggest culprits, especially when allowed unrestricted upload bandwidth. Try turning this off completely for a few days and see how things go.

Ideally moving to Fibre which has a much higher upload limits would solve your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

But for it to drop after 275KB of upload shouldn't be such a huge ask, that it stalls the connection completely? Very frustrating; the connection used to be fine; we got sent a new Sky Hub and everything.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you get the same problem when connecting to your hub using a network cable?