Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Have i been messed around to much now?

This is a discussion on Have i been messed around to much now? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically the last 3 months have been a real nightmare with switching to SkyBB. Let me begin: In August i ...

ozzie987 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have i been messed around to much now?

Basically the last 3 months have been a real nightmare with switching to SkyBB. Let me begin:

In August i registed my interest from the site (before the service was running) and about 2 weeks later i got a letter stating what i could and couldnt get (in my case, LLU services were available) So i phoned Sky up on the 10th to order sky. Gave them my MAC code from AOL which i requested 30 minutes earier (well done AOL) and my special order code. Basically said what package i wanted, and all was well. Was explained that i'd get my router etc after a few days.

A few days past and router arrived very quicky. Set it all up but i wasn't connected yet, but tried it anyway. Recieved a letter about a week after saying the activation would be the 14th (almost 2 weeks after i read the letter) so i thought fantastic.

The 14th came, but guess what. No SkyBB So i left it for 7 days because i'd read BT were behind with activations. 7 days later still no activation, so i game them a ring. Basically the women asked me to read out my MAC code again, so i did. She said there was charecter missing, so i was a bit peeved off to say the least. Anyway, she said it is now being processed and that it would be another 14 days.

Two weeks pass, and suddently my AOL stops, so no internet. Wait patienly for another two weeks and then phone sky. They said that as of the 11th of october i was connected (well over two weeks after i rang) so i explained the problem and so i was passed onto the CS tiers. After initial line tests, the guy said there was something blocking my line and Sky. He said he'd pass it on to tier 3 and they'd phone me, but it would be a few days. Eventually they phoned and said that it is activated, but still i had to internet.

Waited about another week i phoned again to ask what what happening. They they said that i was connected at there end, and thus can't see the problem. Then they said there was a problem at my exchage and that BT engineers are fixing the problem, but it would be a few days before it is fixed.

Well here i am almost two weeks after that last call, and STILL no internet. I've got a feeling swapping ISP's is going to be nightmare with all thats happened with sky over the few months. Do i need to request a MAC code from them, or will Sky issue me with a LLU MAC in which case isnt what i need if i am to go back to AOL or any other standard ADSL provider.

Thanks for reading such a large a quite boring past few months. I'm sick of getting fobbed of by Sky that i thought i'd ask you on here.

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      My first suggestion would be to log onto BT and have a look at what tasks they have or have not done.

Goto www.bt.co.uk

Select 'Small and Medium Business'

Select 'Track an order'

Select 'Track a landline order'

At this point if you haven't done so already you will need to register - I think you need your account number (from a bill) and your telephone number.

Once you have registered and logged in you will be able to see the tasks that BT have

It varies but you should see at least 2 orders

1 - Cease ipstream (for AOL)
      2 - Provide LLU (for Sky)

You should be able to see the status of them and whether they have been completed. That will give you an idea of whether BT have been instructed and completed their end.

Cheers,

Nigel
      Last edited by nheather; 07-11-06 at 04:23 PM.

jameseb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishan SWLNI
      Broadband ISP: Connect - but soon Max (4/1/06)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hey Ozzie

Sorry to hear your troubles with sky! i had my share when they were trying to get me transferred funny enough mainly with the communication systems not working but as of lately (*Touching Wood*) things have been running brilliantly and im very happy.

Anyhuw to answer! only certain companies (i think zen) accept llu mac codes from sky! in most cases to go back to someone like aol etc you will need sky to do a cease on your broadband line which will clear the markers set on your telephone line. Basically it takes about 30 odd days to clear llu markers from the line and until then most of the other isp's can not process your order.
      Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т. (Moral: Working as a team produces better results!)

имейте большое рождество и С Новым годом (have a great christmas and a happy new year )

Dont ya just love russian proverbs!

J-ames

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nheather View Post
      You should be able to see the status of them and whether they have been completed. That will give you an idea of whether BT have been instructed and completed their end.
      The BT order tracker says my Provide was completed but it's lying. This seems to have happened to a few others too.

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Thanks
      This maybe because BT have done their bit but Sky/EasyNet haven't done this.

I assume BT's only part in the process, is to disconnect the wires from the BT IPStream termination box and connect them to the Sky/EasyNet LLU box.

If BT have done that, then BT have done their bit.

I assume it's then down to Sky/Easynet to ensure that the configuration to associate the wired terminals with their network infrastructure.

So it may well be that BT haven't completed it, or have done incoorectly but it could also be that BT have done what is asked of them but Sky/Easynet haven't completed their end.

Either way, to the user it means the same - no connection.

Cheers,

Nigel