Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband speed Somerset

This is a discussion on Broadband speed Somerset within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Happy Sky customer - TV, broadband and telephone - Moving to somerset - small place called Alhampton - nearest town ...

silverman3012 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband speed Somerset

Happy Sky customer - TV, broadband and telephone - Moving to somerset - small place called Alhampton - nearest town is Dicheat or Castle Carey - anyone in that area can comment on broadband speeds. Officiallly is 7-8 meg but currently enjoying around 20 meg so wondered what this may be like. I occasionally purchase sky movies and use netflex and amazon for files etc. Any comments much appreciated.

Anyone using satelite broadband at all ?

Thanks

Tim

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband speed Somerset

Hi silverman3012 and welcome to the forum.
      Do you know what exchange you will be connected to?
      If Dicheat then the news is not good. The only broadband available from Sky is connect at 17 per month, 33.40 including line rental unless home moves have any offers. With maximum download speed of 8Mb/s and a download cap it is not good value for money so you may need to shop around.

I don't have experience of satellite broadband but you should explore all other options before considering it. If gaming is your thing then, due to high latency, satellite is really a none starter.

silverman3012 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for a quick response! Ditcheat is the nearest place so I suspect that will be the exchange - bad news indeed and I am afraid and typical of rural location cheers for SAT advise, its very expensive but would give me 15 meg download, not a gamer but a couple of homeworkers so that will be a challenge!

I also suspect that any other broadband provider will use the same exchange and last mile copper connection as well.

i am under contract wih sky so lets see if they can at least help with the costs!

Thanks again, will keep the forum posted on any good news

Tim

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverman3012 View Post
      I also suspect that any other broadband provider will use the same exchange and last mile copper connection as well.

i am under contract wih sky so lets see if they can at least help with the costs!
      There are other options which will be cheaper than satellite.
      The first would be to get a second line so you could each have your own dedicated broadband connection.

It is possible to get routers with two adsl connections. Probably something to think about when your current contract expires. While this wouldn't give you 15Mb/s it would allow you to download a file using the maximum download speed of one line and still have the capacity of the other line available for internet traffic.

It may also be possible to bond two lines together to give 15 Mb/s download speed but you would have to discuss the availability of such a service with a business broadband service provider.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I personally would not buy Sky "Connect". It is a terrible product compared to even their LLU offering.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      I personally would not buy Sky "Connect". It is a terrible product compared to even their LLU offering.
      I don't think anyone would ever disagree that sky's resold BT ADSL1 product 'connect' is terrible & to be avoided at all costs.

However, sky's ADSL2+ 'lite' or 'unlimited' LLU services are, in my opinion excellent.