Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

VPN connections not working since switch to fibre and back again

This is a discussion on VPN connections not working since switch to fibre and back again within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I recently upgraded from Sky unlimited broacband to Sky fibre ... all was good until i realised that ...

odgious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

VPN connections not working since switch to fibre and back again

Hi all,
      I recently upgraded from Sky unlimited broacband to Sky fibre ... all was good until i realised that some of my client sites that i connect to via VPN would no longer allow me to run applications on their site. The VPN would connect successfully, when when i tried to run the remote application, it would be unresponsive. The native windows VPN PPTP connections all work fine, its the third party ones like Cisco, Sophos etc. that i have problems with. I got so fed up with it, i downgraded back to normal broadband, and the original router (which worked fine on all occasions), but i still have the problem. I asked Sky and they say that my line was physically changed from the copper line to fibre, but couldnt tell me the possible effect of this. I tried to ring Openreach but they say i need to go through the service provider. Does anyone know what the impact of going to a fibre line (even though i'm not actually on fibre broadband) has, or how i might resolve the issue?
      Thanks
      Kieran

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: VPN connections not working since switch to fibre and back again

If you reverted back to ADSL broadband you will not be connected to fibre, at least between you and the exchange. The Sky agent has given you incorrect information. If your set up worked before on ADSL it should still do.

Sky may consider your use of several VPNs as commercial use, which they will not support.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, that what I thought too, but it definitely isnt working, using the same router. The engineer had to do something to switch me to fibre, but had to do nothing to switch me back, so i'm thinking that i'm using some kind of new infrastructure, albeit without the benefits of fibre, and thats whats causing my problem. I reckon they havent switched me back to copper lines.

Thanks

The switch back to the copper line would be done at the cabinet, which you would not be aware of. I suppose it is possible, but I doubt if they have left you on fibre and simply capped your line. Your stats should show what you are on. FTTC will show zero attenuation against the upload. If you see a figure there, normally around half the download attenuation then you are fully on copper.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks ... how or where would i see those stats?

Thanks

Open the router settings, click Maintenance, put in username admin and password sky, scroll to the bottom and click Show Statistics.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi all, thanks for your feedback. It looks like the problem is with the network setup on my laptop. I must have installled/uninstalled something when i configured the new router. I unchecked rawether on one of my connections and it allowed the application to run over the VPN. I used an older laptop, with the same VPN settings, and am able to run the application over the VPN, using the same router etc. So, it looks like i've some investigating to do with with Windows 7 network config.