Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Ping Be Improved?

This is a discussion on Can Ping Be Improved? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is there anything that can be done to improve the latency of my connection. I appreciate that this is mostly ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can Ping Be Improved?

Is there anything that can be done to improve the latency of my connection.

I appreciate that this is mostly down to the infrastructure but was wondering if

(a) There is anything that can be done at my end (router, NIC etc).

(b) If there is anything that can be done by SKy (capping sync speed, removing Interlacing etc).

Currently, my sync speed is capped at 6.5Mbps (to solve the disconnection problems) and speed tests regularly give me 5.1Mbps which is more than acceptable to me.

But browsing feels sluggish - you can see pages build up as each component is downloaded.

Just wondering whether tuning or trading bandwidth could help.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      soulja is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If your on interleave then changing to fastpath will help your ping, if you decide to go with fastpath then you may need to get them to set your target snr a bit higher to make sure it stays stable.

Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Thanks

It would be nice to try.

To be honest, my Sky connection is slightly better than when I was with Nildram MaxDSL - same ping, higher sync/download.

However, when I went from Nildram fixed 2Mbps to MaxDSL I was disappointed that the ping increased and browsing became more sluggish.

It actually, made the internet feel slower because most of the time I didn't see the benefit of the high bandwidth (just when doing big downloads).

I was on the point of requesting Nildram to put me back on fixed 2Mbps but then the Sky offer came along.

So can't grumble about the Sky connection (especially at the saving I'm making).

But it would be really nice to be able to experiement trading off bandwidth for ping but to be honest I doubt that Sky would be too accomodating.

Cheers,

Nigel

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      What is your ping? It should be around 30 -70 milliseconds depending on site.

"you can see pages build up as each component is downloaded" is unlikely to be ping related. Even if your pings were say 200 milliseconds they're not sequential. Multiple images will be downloaded at the same time. You really shouldn't be able to detect ping speeds by eye!

Try running something like TCPOptimizer. This will optimize your TCP/IP stack for fast broadband and (if I recall correctly) will increase the number of simultaneous connections over the windows default. The difference can be quite noticeable.

Turning off interleaving can be beneficial to online gaming where ping really can matter.

Thanks

@Saturday

I thought that as a website connection is stateless then if the website contains 50 small gifs (typical of something like Amazon or eBay) then you have to make 50 independent connections to it.

I thought this is why protected pages (such as those needed a password) use memory resident cookies to hold the authentication so that you don't have to enter your password for each component that is downloaded.

My thinking is that a page with lots of small sized components can take longer to load that a page with one big component, because there will be a latency cost for each component downloaded.

Fully accept my thinking could be flawed though - not an expert in this area.

Cheers,

Nigel

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Windows by default allows 100 concurrent connections.

You're right in that a page with hundreds of small images will take longer to download than one with a few but it should hardly be noticeable with a fast broadband connection.

If you've never optimised your TCP/IP stack for broadband then you really should. Go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks for info.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      indeed and changing to fastpath has its own issues regarding stability.

Thanks

@Saturday

I forgot to mention - I ran TCP Optimizer when I first got my Sky connection - to be honest it didn't make much difference.

My pings are well within normal range

43mS for www.jolt.co.uk

This is about the same as when I was with Nildram DSLMax.

However, when I was on Nildram fixed 2Mbps, this ping was around the 20-25mS mark, and general internet browsing seemed more spritely then.

Also in comparison with the connection I use at work which is a 4Mbps leased line shared by about 80 people ....

Large File Download Speed Test (Work) - 3.5Mbps
      Large File Download Speed Test (Home) - 5.1Mbps
      Ping to www.jolt.co.uk (Work) - 10mS
      Ping to www.jolt.co.uk (Home) - 43mS

So in terms of brute speed my Home connection wins but in terms of pings, the work connection wins easily.

How does this show up ...

When I open websites with a number of components they appear instantly at work whilst at home I see the pages build.

I can see this effect at similar times of day with the same sites.

This is why I thought the ping was the cause.

Cheers,

Nigel

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Can you give me an example of a page that "builds"?

My own experience with Sky is that sometimes there is an almost imperceptible pause before the page loads and then (even with a very busy page) everything appears in an instant.

What browser do you use? I use Firefox with the fasterfox add-in. This has a small timer at the bottom of the screen which shows page loading times.

I've just run a couple of tests as I also have a 2MB BT ADSL connection. I can see no material difference between these connections (Sky ping to BBC.co.uk is 31ms, BT is 24ms). The BBC pages appear to load identically. The timer shows both complete loading in a shade under 0.8s on average.

Lastly have you tried clearing your DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns)? Also your browser cache (windows default lets this get huge).

spiers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can Ping Be Improved?

I just pinged jolt and got a laughable 800ms average.
      Think the quickest was 80ms and the slowest about 866ms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast