Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Has Sky got a monopoly in chelsea London SW1 postcode?

This is a discussion on Has Sky got a monopoly in chelsea London SW1 postcode? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Got more then doubled bill came up this month as 46 - was explaind what the offer ended (I was ...

newuser1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Has Sky got a monopoly in chelsea London SW1 postcode?

Got more then doubled bill came up this month as 46 - was explaind what the offer ended (I was automatically transferred to the sky last year - O2 was sold to sky ).
      Same time the speed droped to 2Mb. Told by customer service - they can do nothing - just to cansell addons - what was automatically included without asking.
      Found out what this year we have no other providers at all... I am not talking about fibre or some other fast speed - its not allowed in our aria - was waiting for 3 years this guys (hyperoptic) - nobody let them do fibre in chelsea.
      So 5 years ago we had some choices, like Virgin Plusnet, Talk Talk, Tree. Non of them now. Internet seems like dual up now (around 2 Mb) - prices doubled.
      One competitor - BT offering same if not worth for a doubled price.
      It seems this situation only very central London postcode - chelsea SW1 - other London arias as well as rest of the Uk enjoying lots of offers and high fibre broadband.
      Are we back to stone age in chelsea?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Has Sky got a monopoly in chelsea London SW1 postcode?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think that you have answered your own question in that as BT can supply a service Sky do not have a monopoly.

If your street is not cabled for Virgin Television then it is unlikely that Virgin Media will supply a service as they are running down their national (copper based) service.

I am surprised that Plusnet can't supply you. Have you spoken to them or just checked online?

As for fibre, what result do you get from inputting your address at Where and when - Superfast Fibre Broadband?

newuser1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Virgin Media was happily uncabled, as my neighbours used it 5 years ago.
      5 years ago I was with 02 paying 7 - month for the ok quality (at least stable 8Mb) broadband and had a choice with lots of providers.
      Ended up - transferring to sky last year and paying 46 (they doubled the price this month) for the internet for the the speed what not able to use two devices same time + not internet at the evening.
      And have no choices. No mach difference with BT - same price/same.
      Where all other providers with good quality internet disappeared or why they uncabled was was there 5 year ago. My neibours was using Virgin. Tree and Talk Talk and all other also where here - but not now?
      Meanwhile - invested 1.7 billion in extending superfast broadband provision.:
      Greg Hands welcomes BT
      In reality - no superfast broadband exist in this aria.

Just to find out - SKY and BT now charging double business rate for the double slow internet (2mb) as no other choices - all other providers disappeared.

Same time - waiting for 3 years this guys (hyperoptic) who is trying hard to service aria with fast internet - they are not allowed.

This situation not only weaken my bargaining position, left with no option to negotiate and ended up for SKY company to charge me any amount they want. Right now I am not ready to pay double other companies business rates for the home internet.

fibre with Sky.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is your line actually connected to Chelsea telephone exchange?
      If so then Talk Talk should also be able to supply you with broadband service.

If you have previously had 8Mb/s download speed and now only get 2Mb/s it is possible that there is a fault either with your line or within your home. What speed does BT's broadband availability address checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say that you are likely to receive?

Could you post your router stats (speeds, attenuation and noise margin) to give us an idea how your line is performing?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Sorry, but are you saying you are paying 46 for broadband? That would be about the price for Fibre Pro and line rental. If you are paying 46 for an ADSL service then there is a serious problem with your account.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sorry, but are you saying you are paying 46 for broadband? That would be about the price for Fibre Pro and line rental. If you are paying 46 for an ADSL service then there is a serious problem with your account.
      He is an ex-O2 customer so he probably got Family pack free for a year, then for the last year he had Family pack half price for another year.
      This year they just get normal retention offers if they call.
      We've been getting these calls for about 2 months.
      It was offered to stragglers who hadn't responded to the previous offers and didn't already have a Sky account to merge the broadband onto.
      46 was likely not the full rise and as his pack will be 59.90, probably a part months discount.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky