Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Broadband slow and connection drops - advice please

This is a discussion on Broadband slow and connection drops - advice please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Koala5 Hiss and crackle on the line may not stop you use the phone but is highly ...

Jez2011 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband slow and connection drops - advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Hiss and crackle on the line may not stop you use the phone but is highly likely to upset the Broadband
      in the way of noise, so as other people have said it sounds like the line. That is assuming the problem isn't
      internal wiring.
      Yes - since I've tried everything else (new router, new mircofilters, numerous calls to Sky), agree that the problem must be with my telephone line. Should I call Sky again and report this issue as a telephone fault?

I'd also be willing to pay for an engineer to visit and have a look at our internal telephone wiring - especially since we don't seem to have a proper working master socket. Is this something Sky can arrange or is this BT or can I get an independent person?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just spoke to Sky again: they ran a test on our line and, as the good people of this forum said, there is indeed a line fault. They said that it was an external fault and that they would arrange for Openreach to look into it, which should be in the next few days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

UPDATE: The BT engineer came and replaced our phone socket with a new master socket (it is labelled "Openreach Mk3" and has separate sockets for the phone line and the router).

This seems to have sorted the issue. Our connection statistics are:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10238 kbps 799 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 16.6 dB
      Noise Margin 6.7 dB 16.16 dB

I'd do want to be sure that the issue actually is resolved, so I've asked Sky to keep the matter open for another week, so we can monitor the performance.

Can anyone tell me if these stats look ok?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think there is still a problem somewhere. Your current stats are not much better than your previous ones, in fact the upstream is worse. With an attenuation of 29db, noise 6.6db, you should be getting at least 50% more than you are and you should have the maximum of 1.3mb download. I would keep going at Sky in the hope they can find some other fault. Unfortunately you may have aluminium in your line which will greatly reduce its efficiency.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12