Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102 - disable IPv6 - so router returns to purely IPv4, Nat filtering mode (stateful firewal)

This is a discussion on SR102 - disable IPv6 - so router returns to purely IPv4, Nat filtering mode (stateful firewal) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Specs: Router: SR102 Firmware: 2.88.1086.R DSL Firmware version: A2pv6F039m.d24m Package: adsl basic (unlimited) What specific settings do I have to ...

itsanewlifeforme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: New House - No TV
      Router: New house - no broadband
      Sky TV: Nothing yet
      Thanks

SR102 - disable IPv6 - so router returns to purely IPv4, Nat filtering mode (stateful firewall)

Specs:

Router: SR102
      Firmware: 2.88.1086.R
      DSL Firmware version: A2pv6F039m.d24m
      Package: adsl basic (unlimited)

What specific settings do I have to modify, so that the router can function as it did in the past (IPv4 - Nat router - stateful packet inspection - hardware firewall), before the IPv6 updates/additions were added to the firmware?

I.e before the IPv6 additions to the firmware in the last few months.

Ideally, if I could I would like to backtrack the firmware to the last pre IPv6 version, but since that is impossible, what settings can I change, to get back to that scenario instead?

I want to go back to the hardware firewall, Nat system, that existed before the IPv6 firmware updates/additions.

Thanks in advance,

Itsanewlifeforme.
      Last edited by itsanewlifeforme; 23-07-15 at 11:48 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: SR102 - disable IPv6 - so router returns to purely IPv4, Nat filtering mode (stateful firew

You could try changing the settings on the LAN IP Setup page.

http://192.168.0.1/sky_lan_ip_setup.html

These are new settings so it'll be interesting to know if they help.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

itsanewlifeforme (24-07-15)

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: SR102 - disable IPv6 - so router returns to purely IPv4, Nat filtering mode (stateful firew

Interested to hear why you wish to downgrade the firmware or disable IPv6?

I guess you must have very old devices that do not support it? Though I was under the impression that the routers would always dole out IPv4 addresses on the local network..?
      Current Sync 79999/19999

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks you both for your reply's:

It's important to me that the router I use for my home internet connection, has an effective, working, solid built-in firewall.

As I see it - It adds defense depth i.e adds a layer of security to my home network.

However - since sky are clearly at a point of moving over to ipv6 - there will be a transition period - and the routers will have to juggle both ipv4 and ipv6.

I just want my router firewall functioning solidly as it was before the ipv6 firmware updates - i.e a secure hardware firewall.

I don't want to be a 'guinea pig' - until they iron out any problems or weakness they are still to uncover.

I promise you that my new post is worth a read:

IPV6 router on IPV4 networks

please take a look

I would really appreciate any thoughts or comments

itsanewlifeforme

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

they wont juggle, it will be dual stack.

That generally means the following assuming no issues.

you will use ipv4 to any ipv4 only servers (most of internet).
      you will use ipv6 to any servers that support ipv6, even if they also support ipv4.

the reason is ipv6 is typically preferenced in software.

of course is possible things can break, e.g. someone may have a dual stack website where it doesnt load properly on ipv6 and as such you would get the broken website.

but there will be no juggling, ipv4 and ipv6 can be enabled together.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

As had been said already IPv4 and IPv6 will sit comfortably together, no need to do anything.

Some of your linked articles are good but old, especially the one from some of my friends/colleagues at arstechnica from 2007, talking about the effects on vista and laptops gaining over desktops. The iPhone had not launched then, well was a month away.
      “Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything,” Jobs said.

Anyway, google has some nice analytics on the ongoing/historical ipv6 adoption that may be of interest;
      https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/...=ipv6-adoption
      Also, a company that I deal with often in my line of work, Akamai, have some too;
      https://www.akamai.com/us/en/solutio...fic-volume.jsp

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

itsanewlifeforme (24-07-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

My main concern, after reading the articles, even the more recent ones is this:

It is being highlighted, that running with IPv6 activated on our routers, upon an IPv4 only network - means that the router can no longer be seen as a solid/secure hardware firewall, protecting your home network.

The articles seem to suggest that IPv4, enveloped within IPv6 comms, can Infact potentially bypass any hardware firewall directly - and that such attacks/malware are now being found to use this attack vector.

One of the avast blog posts also suggests that an effective IPv6 firewall, requires significant ram and processing power to function. Whilst the sky routers are nice bits of kit, I'm unsure if they fit this description.

Here is an very good example of why a solid/secure router hardware firewall is necessary to operate behind (home network):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-82de67a4514c

Please keep the contributions coming, comments are open to any and all!

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

it is out of date as said. Routers are implementing ipv6 firewalls, certianly sky routers will have a ipv6 firewall, and all asuswrt based routers do as well.

I setup my HE ipv6 tunnel last night, and the first thing I did was port scan my ipv6 and do some manual tests, its firewalled off. This was also the case when I had native ipv6 with plusnet.

NAT is different on ipv6, which some wont like the possible less privacy but it is the future.

Its a bit like how BT block pings on their homehub's they still think its a security issue if pings are allowed.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Hmm, there is no reason why IPv6 will cause routers to be less secure. If anything, the protocol has been designed with more security features in mind. I can't speak for the SR101/102 because I don't use either of them, but there's no reason to keep it disabled for security reasons.

I'm more than happy to use IPv6 on my kit when it's rolled out.

Also, encapsulating IPv4 within IPv6 doesn't make your router insecure btw.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsanewlifeforme View Post
      Thanks you both for your reply's:

It's important to me that the router I use for my home internet connection, has an effective, working, solid built-in firewall.

itsanewlifeforme
      Then get rid of an Consumer/SoHo router and buy a proper UTM/NGFW or at least a Router that allows proper control of the inbound outbound ruleset.

Also having IPv6 does not stop you having a stateful firewall, and quite franky any CPE manufacturer who builds an IPv6 router without such a firewall needs to be shot.