Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Help - Frequent disconnects (every 10-15mins or worse)

This is a discussion on Help - Frequent disconnects (every 10-15mins or worse) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been havin exactly the same problem on an off for last 3 or 4 weeks. Up here in Aberdeen so ...

kryten36 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen North
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Been havin exactly the same problem on an off for last 3 or 4 weeks. Up here in Aberdeen so it's weird that i'm havin the same problems as you guys down there.

The LCP is constantly going down every 40 mins or so and it's drivin me crazy. I was wonderin if it was worth gettin in touch with sky to CAP my connection, i remember doin a line check a little while back and it came back at 6.5Mb, it seems no other ISP can offer 8mb ADSL on my exchange (Tiscali, PlusNET, UkOnline etc.). Is it possible the line is just too poor for the connection speed? (connected at 8mb just now).

I've no idea how long it's going to take to get onto max, unfort Aberdeen seem to be the first alphabetically but last when it comes to LLU upgrades

The sad part is, i was back in lincolnshire for a week on a 4mb ntl connection, i miss those days... 400Kb/sec on torrents, now i'm stuck on 30kb/sec

2. Advertisement
      mayhem121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry

i had the same problem, turning upnp off made my connection more stable but the connection does tend to drop randomly and i have to manually reset the router on and off for it to connect again, tier 3 were meant to ring me back 2 weeks ago but havent done so, its a joke.

wibble44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking: THWK
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well - just in case anyone else is having similar problems - as of yesterday, it was finally fixed. Needed a tie-pair shift at the exchange (disconnect my line, and reconnect to a different termination box).

There was a lot of history behind all this, and a great deal of aggro in getting anyone useful to look at the fault. Nothing more frustrating than finally getting T3 - they seemingly ignore the call history, make a quick change and say "see how it goes - any problems, call us back, if you say it's an ongoing fault, T1 will put you straight through". Borrox will they. They log the call and say T3 will call within 5 days.

All the way through, I was up against claims like "it's your master socket" or "your line won't take those speeds" despite evidence to the contrary. Finally nailed it when T3 took a detailed look at adjacent tie-pairs at the exchange. When mine failed, the neighbouring pairs also failed. Probably not my master socket then...

Based on my experience - my tips for anyone in a similar situation:
      1/ Give TS a "reasonable" amount of time to fix whatever the fault is. You'll have to go through the Tier1 carp in order to get anywhere, even if you're calling about an ongoing fault. You'll be lucky to get direct contact with T3.

2/ Once this time is up, get onto customer service (CS) immediately using the word "complaint". I used the email address: BroadbandCustomerService@BSkyB.com. Included a polite, but fairly blunt description of events, along with a detailed log of interactions so far. That seemed to shake things up. Then received the magical BB1 letter, and started getting regular callbacks from T3 and "the escalation team" and things started moving.

Customers eh? Pay cheapskate fees, want top-notch service.

Mr Angry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Putney, London
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Good for you wibble - finally working

I too got my tie pair shift but unfortunately they did it two days after they identified a cabling issue at the exchange (story 1 from Tier 3) and/or the card they've shifted me to turns out to be an actual piece of cardboard (story 2 from Tier 3) rather than something more technically useful.

So I now haven't had any broadband connection at all for last 10 days and am using a dial up at home (thanks to psycho for suggesting Freedom2Surf).

Tier 3 tell me they've sent engineers out who have identified that there is a problem - no s**t sherlock ! - but have no idea when they may get around to doing anything about it.

I've sent the requisite polite letter to customer services whilst biting my tongue and not portraying my true feelings and will live in hope that santa brings me a working connection for Christmas - certainly more chance of him doing so than anyone at sky.

vin
      vin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help - Frequent disconnects (every 10-15mins or worse)

I'm having the same problem as you guys.

Did you get anywhere with this?

Been happening for the last couple of weeks. I've been happily working for months before this.
      I checked the exchange using Exchange Status Checker and it seems fine.
      I've disabled UPNP to no effect.
      My line has been capped at 1MB
      I'm on the MAX (16MB) package
      I'll try the master test socket tonight.
      What do I need to set the MTU size to?

Thanks

Iggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help - Frequent disconnects (every 10-15mins or worse)

Hi

I hope people don't mind if I bring this one back to the top.

Same thing with me but only started happening last Thursday. LCP dropping every couple of minutes at worst, half hour at best. Tried all the standard stuff.

Which bit of the "connection" is dropping with this LCP problem? Effectively, it looks like the router just keeps auto-rebooting (uPnP is disables). Does it make a difference if you are using a PC or Mac?

Have a call into Sky with a ticket number and a promise (I will avoid the obvious comment having been through this route before!) of a call back but just wondered whether anyone has further news/views since the two weeks this thread stopped.

Pregnant wife is losing her cool somewhat!

Cheers and thanks,
      Ig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123