Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help - Frequent disconnects (every 10-15mins or worse)

This is a discussion on Help - Frequent disconnects (every 10-15mins or worse) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @wibble44 I really sympathise with you. Having to wait only to find out it wasn't an exchange problem would make ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      @wibble44

I really sympathise with you. Having to wait only to find out it wasn't an exchange problem would make me

All you can do is rule out everything your end:

• You've tried another router (and lead?) so that's ruled out.
      • You've turned off UPnP and rebooted router/PC so that's ruled out (the other router sort of ruled that out anyway).
      • I can't see that your TCP/IP settings could have anything to do with this but if you want to change MTU go for it.

So that's your PC and router covered. How about outside interference (e.g. rf noise)?

• Have you tried connecting to your test socket (not mastersocket)?
      • Do you have a dect phone sitting next to your router, or a printer or something else electrical?
      • Have you moved your router away from all electrical sources (including cabling)? No rats nests of cables?

If you've done all that then it's 99% likely that the problem is with the exchange or some sort of configuration error at Sky's end.

2. Advertisement
      jazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cleveleys
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wibble44 View Post
      thanks. strange thing is, it's been running rock solid since September at those speeds. The usual slowdown in the evenings, but apart from that - great.

I've tried the SNR tweak to force lower sync speeds - right down to 2Meg, but no difference. Dumb question, but would that have the same effect as Sky capping max speed?
      Sky reduced my speed from 8 meg to 6.5 no dropping out or lockups since
      then.Speed is consistent throughout the day and night worth a go.

wibble44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking: THWK
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@saturday
      * House is a little old, so don't have an NTE5 master socket. In fact, got a "Post Office telecomms" grey box outside the front door !! But have plugged the router into the first socket where it comes in. No difference. In fact the stats in the original post were from that point.
      * Nope, no DECT, or WiFi nearby.
      * Slight cable nest at the usual connection point, but not at the first socket. So ruled out as well.

So, does look like an external problem. But frustrating as **** that Sky can't confirm it, and no agreed fix time between BT and Sky for resolution of "the exchange fault". So far, that's 14days and I can't believe I'm the only one affected.

@ jazz.
      ta. hopefully won't come to that, and in any case, $ky won't do a thing until this "exchange fault" is cleared.

What I need is someone in Tier 3 who I can PM and beg a favour off.... hmmm...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

an update.... the problem is still ongoing. On Monday this week, Sky admitted that "the fault" at the exchange did not affect my line, so, two weeks after reporting the issue, they'd now raise a ticket.

Apparently it has officially been raised through to Tier2/3 and someone will be looking at it, but no news as to who/when.

in the meantime:
      Code:
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:08:19 - LCP down.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:08:26 - Initialize LCP.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:08:26 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:08:26 - CHAP authentication success
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:09:48 - Initialize LCP.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:09:48 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:09:49 - CHAP authentication success
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:23:33 - Initialize LCP.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:23:33 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:23:33 - CHAP authentication success
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:38:53 - LCP down.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:39:01 - Initialize LCP.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:39:02 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Thu, 2006-11-16 19:39:02 - CHAP authentication success
      and so on throughout the day

stats for info:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 26.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 13.0 db

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I had that CHAP Error when the Midlands exchanges were being upgraded??

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is it a CHAP error? looks like CHAP is ok, and it's the link which is bouncing? ... LCP down, then reinitialise, and CHAP success (as expected) once the link is up.

or am I misreading it?

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Sorry! It was me misreading! I just saw the CHAP part and I assumed you was having the same that I had?

LCP - the Link Control Protocol (LCP) forms part of the PPP. In setting up PPP communications, both the sending and receiving devices send out LCP packets to determine specific information that the prospective data transmission will require. The LCP protocol:

* checks the identity of the linked device and either accepts or rejects the peer device
      * determines the acceptable packet size for transmission
      * searches for errors in configuration
      * can terminate the link if requirements exceed the parameters

Devices cannot use PPP to transmit data over a network until the LCP packet determines the acceptability of the link.

Mr Angry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Putney, London
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      wibble

I've been having the same problem for the entire two months I've had skyBB. I've had three routers and done all the suggestions on here by way of tweaking them, spent many hours on phone with Tier 3 with all the kit plugged in the test socket and had several fault reports to BT to check line etc. I was told on Tuesday that they think it could be the way my profile has been set (by them) at the exchange which stops the router synching properly - and this should have been be re-set over the one of the last couple of nights (apparently its a remote process that "fault management" run around midnight).

Its difficult to tell if its worked yet as they have me capped at 128k - the only way I've been able to have any sort of connection stay up - and I'm waiting for a callback that was promised for yesterday evening.

Have you noticed if your noise margin is very volatile (on the show stats button for router status) ? Mine was jumping around everywhere between about 12 and 30 before nosediving to zero and disconnecting. Although this morning when I checked it seemed to be staying stable at around 20 which makes me think they may have done the profile reset.

If they call me back and this proves to be the solution to getting me back to a stable connection at a rational speed (I'm on mid too and it's be nice to have 8mb) I'll post what they actually did.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mr A, thanks for the reply. interesting.
      Apart from the line drops, my noise margin is stable. every so often it spikes (~30) right before the drop, but not every time.

finally got through to T3 tonight, they confidently capped it at 6Mb, which lasted all of 8 minutes, then decided that it was the router. New one coming out next week.

If yours does get solved, would love to hear what they did to fix it.

Mr Angry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Putney, London
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      So - T3 have done the profile update but still the problem remains, so it seems its not that. Spent an hour or so on the phone with them again yesterday and they've undertaken to go back to BT with evidence of the line instability over time which they could clearly see whilst they were on the phone with me. They think when BT have done their previous tests they done them as a snapshot so everything could look fine when they do it. Their thought is that it will require a tie pair shift. I'll know more Tues/Weds when they've promised me another call back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast